.3ds to .x file

Started by
8 comments, last by Guybrush1138 20 years, 8 months ago
Hi. I have been exporting .3ds files from Hash Animation Master 2002, and using Conv3ds.exe to convert them to .x files. The problem is, there is no MeshMaterialList. If I use the -m command, I get the MeshMaterialList, but none of the textures are in said list; only the default white material. The only idea I can come up with is to make a utility, or type in the face number material assignments manually. Somebody help!
Advertisement
sry for offtopic but do the 3ds files contain animations or just a static mesh ? because if problems with getting animation into x files or 3ds files.
I''ve been wondering about the conv3ds/convx files in the directx8.0 sdk - everytime I try to double click on the icons to run them, I see a dos-type console window and some code quickly scroll across the screen, and then it closes without letting me do any conversion. What could be wrong?
You should run t in MS-DOS Prompt, and give it the correct amount of parameters. Or else it will just say: "Not enough parameters" and close in 0.5 seconds.

.lick
I''ve always had a problem with conv3ds.exe? It seems like the only way that i''ve ever gotten it to work is to convert a model that has a texture map already as a .bmp I know there is a command line argument for turning all texture references into .bmp but it hasn''t worked.

So finally i just stoped using .3ds and had my friend export from maya with the X File exporter. Works alright but i swear there are some bugs in the exporter. Like absolute and relative texture references.
I don''t like conv3ds at all. btw, if you want to use it you run it via. the dos prompt and type "cons3ds filename.3ds" and you get an x file in that directory. There are other complicated things to do but I don''t tend to explore them as I don''t like the program.

It would be nice to use X files but I tend to just use 3ds in my programs. I think there are plugins about but I''m not artist and I don''t want to shell out for a decent 3D program.
why dont you just get the .x exporter plugin for 3dsmax?

its in the dx8 addon package
I don''t have 3d Studio Max; I''m using Hash Animation Master 2002. Is there a .x exporter plugin for that?
''Hash Animation Master 2002''

.lick
Check out http://www.obsidiangames.com -- they have a .X exporter for Animation Master.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement