Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gamesbond

Level loading ANYONE ?????

gamesbond    144
Hi there , I am developing a hobby 3D FPS engine . I am confused about which maps should i load to maximize my learning. I think .bsp would be great but i want to do all the culling and occlusion and collision detection myself(anything else left??). After that maybe i will look for lightmaps etc.... Can i still do it with .bsp?? Those levels are sexy though. Are there any other formats which i shud try ?? THANX a lot for ur comments On course to my first FPS engine , zoooooom

iNsAn1tY    476
If you want to start loading BSP levels, then there's no better place to start than with Quake III's maps. The BSP format id Software use is well documented on the internet (Google for more information), and www.gametutorials.com have released a series of tutorials devoted to loading and rendering Quake III BSPs. I'm sure if you wanted to have a stab at writing a loader from scratch, you could always just use the HTML page they include in each tutorial, which describes the BSP format in detail...

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You're Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]

[edited by - iNsAn1tY on August 9, 2003 5:23:58 AM]

Naku    151
Quake 3 bsps use lightmaps anyway. They''re loaded from within the .bsp file not from external image files. There''s a few sites other than gametutorials that give tutorials on .bsps aswell if you want some more references, search for them if you need them, one was posted in the news of GameDev a few days ago.

APE

Sander    1332
regular BSP''s are quite different from Quake''s BSP. A BSP is simply a space partitioning algorithm, not a level format. And they''re not too difficult to write and implement yourself. There are tons of tutorials anout it. Just google for them.

Quake''s BPS are a level format, but they contain much, much more than just BSP tree''s. They contain lightmaps. PVS (visibility) data, enteties and loads more.

You wrote that you want to do your own collision detection and culling: This is in fact one of the ways a BSP tree can be used to speed it up greatly. I suggest you start learning about BSP trees and see how they are used. Write a small app to test it. Then decide if you are going to implement your own BSP trees in your FSP or if you are going to use Quake''s BSP file format.

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Game Development][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

GSACP: GameDev Society Against Crap Posting
To join: Put these lines in your signature and don''t post crap!