my computer resets when I call the D3DDevice->Reset()

Started by
6 comments, last by IFooBar 20 years, 8 months ago
Is there anyway I can debug this? I cant even figure out what is going wrong becuase whenever i change the presentation interval and call reset, my entire system resets. I can go from fullscreen to windowed, but then my objects disappear. Then if I try to switch presentation intervals mt system restarts itself. Everything was working fine until I rearranged a few things in my d3d wrapper class. Then this problem started happening, and now I cant even undo the changes because the system restarts. I tried rearranging teh surce to exactly how it was before, but this still happens.
[size=2]aliak.net
Advertisement
You should take a look at your driver.

[edit] Maybe you did something your hardware REALLY doesn't support.

.lick

[edited by - Pipo DeClown on August 9, 2003 4:12:52 AM]
All im rendering is 2 bloody cubes...well not bloody, they''re actually very pretty. But anyway. I have the 40.xx nvidia drivers. and i have a gf4 ti4200 gfx card.

I dont thin kit''s a driver error, cause i went and checked all the d3d samples (dx9) that come with the sdk and they are all working fine. window switching, interval changing, device recreation is all working.

Has anyting like this happened to anyone else?

:::: [ Triple Buffer ] ::::
[size=2]aliak.net
What is your OS?

Windows XP & 2k
Windows 9x

44.03 is the newest.. according to nvidia''s site.
Although it shouldn''t be a driver problem.. Have you tried DirectX Debug?

.lick
Already installed the latest. the problem still occurs, however ive determined that it''s not only a presentation interval change. it''s always teh second time i call reset. the first reset makes all the objects dissapear, and the second reset resets my computer....what makes it even worse is that the function is even called ''Reset'' :/.

im gonna start re-writing the entire wrapper, normally i wouldnt mind, but this one is e HUGE

:::: [ Triple Buffer ] ::::
[size=2]aliak.net
* After the 1st reset your objects disappear
Reset "resets" the device's internal state (render/texture states, ...etc), so that might cause objects to disappear.

* Reset actually restarts your computer
This is a cool one indeed. What comes to mind:
1) Assert that the presentation parameters used are valid (not a null pointer or something)

2) Test it with the REF device. If it doesn't restart your computer, then it's a driver issue (although you still could be doing something wrong that's causing the issue).

2) Use the presentation parameters used for creating the device. If it doesn't restart then you've got something unsupported in the parameters that caused the restart.
If it restarts, then it's a driver bug. Why it appears in your application - and not in the samples - is possibly due to some combination of other things you do.

Peace,
Muhammad Haggag

[edited by - Coder on August 9, 2003 12:14:17 PM]

quote:Reset "resets" the device''s internal state (render/texture states, ...etc), so that might cause objects to disappear.

I know. Im restoring all the states.

1) I made sure the presentation params are valid
2) I tried it on with a REF device and the computer dosnt reset, however the application does crash.
3) App didnt reset, though it did crash.

Also, I reinstalled the nvidia drivers, and now the computer dosnt restart, but the app does crash. There''s probably something inside my hardware support detection code, thats not right. Thanks for the tips.
[size=2]aliak.net
Use the debug runtime of DirectX and look at the debug output just before the call to Reset( ). Also try it out with the REF device.

----------------
Blaster
Computer game programmer and part time human being
Strategy First - http://www.strategyfirst.com
Blastersoft - http://www.blastersoft.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement