Philosophy : Artificial Life

Started by
128 comments, last by StrategicAlliance 23 years, 3 months ago
I think some people are missing the fact that while a computer can "act" "human," it has no way of determining whether an answer it gets is "right" or how to correct it to make it "right." While what is right is arguable, I think we all have our ideas of what is and what isn''t. For example, lets say you ask this "intelligent" machine a math question like 8*8. Whether it gives you back 64 or not, it has no idea if thats what you wanted; that''s up to the creator to design. And if it''s designed to report back the "correct" result, lets say it doesnt. It has no idea that its wrong and it has no idea how to correct it. Machines aren''t alive, and they aren''t capable of conciousness (at least at this point in time). But why would you want that anyway? Even if you could, why would you? Just because you could?

- -=/ Prell \=- -
- -=/ Prell =- -
Advertisement
I think consciousness can be determined by an organism''s abitity to spontaneously kill itself...
Think about it, I could just sit here and starve my self to death, I would know that the results of my actions would cause me to cease to be and that the natural thing to do would to go eat and that there would be a force compelling me to eat. But I could resist the urge to eat and just stay there and starve. I believe this could be a measure of consciousness, the ability to remove oneself from one''s environment.

Or how bout this one... the ability to effect one''s environment to improve one''s condition. Though this would lead me to conclude that birds are conscious because they build nests...

I personally think that the first true human created inteligence will be an accident and that this intelligence will live on the internet.... really, almost ever computer is connected to every other computer, these computers can all be used to preform different functions at once, like SETI... It would have access to thousands of Terabytes of storage, millions of years of CPU time, terabytes of RAM... and this probably won''t happen for a few decades, by which time the net of computers will have increased dramatically... just food to chew on...

movies dealing with this topic: The Matrix, The 13th Floor, Dark City.. all great movies.. any others to compare ideas with?
My old lecturer when I was at uni once mentioned that there was a project at MIT to write a program that would analyse thousands of books and publications and determine a solution to conflict among humans. Apparently, it spat out the ten commandments so they scrapped the entire project and moved to military AI contracts.

Dunno if it was true, but he sincerely believed it was (and he had done postgrad work there).

You are more likely to be bitten by a shark than struck by lightning.
You are more likely to be infected by flesh-eating bacteria than bitten by a shark.
Lightning strikes the earth 6,000 time every minute.
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
quote:Original post by prell

But why would you want that anyway? Even if you could, why would you? Just because you could?

- -=/ Prell \=- -

I can agree that some people don''t see the point in trying to recreate life or make artificial devices conscious whether it is for religious reasons or just personal belief or principles.

But mankind just wants to invent new things. There was no obligation whatsoever to invent the wheel, agriculture, weapons, the alphabet,... but we did because it opened new perspectives. Every species does just that. We want to improve our position, personally and as a whole species.

And it would definitely open new perspectives if we could create consciousness. We would learn a great deal about the concept, about ourselves and it would make life a little easier (or at least make other things possible, kinda like dynamite which can be used as a weapon but also in mining industry).

I''ve said several times in this thread that it should not be our purpose to (AB)USE consciousness to our advantage if this would harm the conscient being created. If the new creature is truly conscient it should be treated as such.

But then again we enter the discussion of ''should we invent knowing well enough that the invention may be abused''. The fact is, if people of good faith don''t invent it, others with less admirable goals will. The same goes for biological advancements, cloning,...

Everything can be used in the good and the bad way. In my humble opinion that''s no reason not to try to understand it. Science makes new options available, it''s up to society to see in what context it should be applied.

Stefan Baert

On the day we create intelligence and consciousness, mankind becomes God.
On the day we create intelligence and consciousness, mankind becomes obsolete...
******************************StrategicAllianceOn the day we create intelligence and consciousness, mankind becomes God.On the day we create intelligence and consciousness, mankind becomes obsolete...******************************
quote:Original post by morfe

My old lecturer when I was at uni once mentioned that there was a project at MIT to write a program that would analyse thousands of books and publications and determine a solution to conflict among humans. Apparently, it spat out the ten commandments so they scrapped the entire project and moved to military AI contracts.

Dunno if it was true, but he sincerely believed it was (and he had done postgrad work there).

Scrapped it? Seems to me it was a complete success.

Grst are you a (*sharp inhalation of breath*) Christian?

Mike

P.S. morfe, it''s blatantly an urban myth btw.
All of this has been discussed so many times going back to the 1950s that I''m at a loss why such a superficial discussion is taking place here. There are endless books and papers to read on the subject, though most of them are older because the whole "true AI" topic was recognized as a red herring maybe 30 years ago.

"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting than the question of whether a submarine can swim." --Edsger W. Dijkstra
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

All of this has been discussed so many times going back to the 1950s that I''m at a loss why such a superficial discussion is taking place here. There are endless books and papers to read on the subject, though most of them are older because the whole "true AI" topic was recognized as a red herring maybe 30 years ago.

People have discussed the weather for over thousands of years. Philosophical discussion about who we are and why we are here, still have something to offer.

It is true that a few decades ago, many AI-projects were scrapped because the people who funded (government, military) thought that practical advances came to slow or didn''t come at all. Nevertheless the field is still alive and as long as the question is not solved scientifically, it remains interesting to think about it and share our thoughts with people who are interested in reading them.

Anyway, over a 100 replies to the original question and several other threads relating to the subject say that this topic is definitely still alive.

Stefan Baert

On the day we create intelligence and consciousness, mankind becomes God.
On the day we create intelligence and consciousness, mankind becomes obsolete...
******************************StrategicAllianceOn the day we create intelligence and consciousness, mankind becomes God.On the day we create intelligence and consciousness, mankind becomes obsolete...******************************
I don''t think mankind can become God if such a thing exists, Creating life is not omnipitance just ingenunity.
As for the origional post whats happens when a computer becomes self aware? I don''t believe this can ever trully happen as consciousness probably doesn''t exist at all, but thats an even question and should be answered first.
first of all I would like to say that I fully agree with zadkeil's views on the subject. I believe that by calling ourselves consciousness we are really just defining that the human mind as a type of system that can self organize, and self modify.when I say self modify I dont mean it in a maraculus way I mean that the human mind can change the way it processes information from outside factors, for example stimuli it recieves through the sences or chemical changes in the body. I also believe that it is possible to create a system that contains properties simular to our own conscious system and that we can accomplish this in an infinite amount of ways. for example It could be simulated in serial ways such as a program on a computer or a person manualy executing that same program with pen and paper, or in a parrallel way such as a network of people communcating with one-another using a strict set rules controling when and what they communicate. This brings me to think of another type of system that might also be considered to diplay concious behaviour. when humans (and there minds (: ) begin to communicate its possible that they will generate rules and customes for further communication. when these rules/customs are set in place things such as the stock market, buisness, consumer market, cities/towns all become possible, and if you look at these systems as wholes each one takes in external input, relies on its inner mechanisms to decode and react to the input to produce new output, also in the systems I mentiond the mechanisms(people) have the ability to change there individual style of decision making. This has a very basic likeness to how the brain self modifies. Although these systems may behave simular to our own system system(from my perspective) Im not saying that there conciousness has any resemblence to our own. There concious systems could be less limited than our own such as structures as large as the united states. systems this large can process huge amounts of information(stimuli),for example stimuli from sientific reaserch, politics, internal/global events and can act on all of this in very unique and creative ways. While smaller systems such as the stock market can be more restricted than we are because its input can only consist of buying and selling of stocks, and its output --the raising and lowering of stock prices.

I will end by saying that through evolution man has aquired both the ability to reason and adapt to his environment, and the ability to work with others towards a common goal..... from what ive observed anyway.

this is just my humble opinion and I could be just as wrong as the next guy atempting to explain conciousness,I hope I havent offended anyone too much.

later, the ciscokid

Edited by - ciscokid5447 on December 27, 2000 2:12:45 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement