what is "working knowledge"?

Started by
8 comments, last by dinotoast 20 years, 8 months ago
ok, I was looking at some of the jobs available for game programmers, and I came across the sentence "working knowledge or better of DirectX8 programming". can someone please define "working knowledge" for me...
Advertisement
If you have to ask, it's not enough. Seriously.

[edit] 'or better' is damn strange, though.

[My site|SGI STL|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|MSDN|Jargon]
Ripped off from various people

[edited by - wild_pointer on August 9, 2003 8:51:15 AM]
[size=2]
hey...i KNOW that im a long way off actually getting a job at one of these place, I was just seeing what is available atm...

so "working knowledge" means "can code fluently in" or similar?
it means you dont have to be a pro at a particular subject, just a grasp of the fundamental concepts and how to implement them.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
I think you should take the wording fairly literally, meaning that you can "work" with DirectX 8 to the point of producing applications using it, that "work".

I definitely don't think it would be advisable to say you can just open a fullscreen window with DX 8, as that probably wouldn't get you very far; that is unless of course, the job is geared more towards something else (C++ for example), and that the DirectX knowledge is seen as a bonus.

I'd assume it meant being able to create small-scale DX 8 applications and upwards.

--hellz

[edited by - hellz on August 9, 2003 9:01:11 AM]
Of course, I guess you could always "show initiative" and telephone them, asking this very same question. Employers aren''t just looking for programming skills; resourcing skills are very important, too.

--hellz
good idea...brownie points for having initiative...

ok guys thanks for that
I would define a working knowledge as something along the lines of an ability to use DX8 (in this case) to produce something reasonably complicated, even if you do need a reference book for function arguments etc. If you can use a technical reference rather than tutorials, that''s probably enough. Others may disagree, of course...
Well... not that I''ve got any experience applying for jobs, I''d assume they want you to be able to write code using Direct X and be reasonably certain that it''s going to work. That you know how to use Direct X, what stuff has to be initialised before what, how it works. Sounds pretty straightforward to me.
-------------"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
I didn''t mean to imply you need to be fluent, but you need to at least be confident enough with working with it to not wonder if you have a "working knowledge".

[My site|SGI STL|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|MSDN|Jargon]
Ripped off from various people
[size=2]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement