[java] Database Development in Java

Started by
5 comments, last by Darkor 20 years, 8 months ago
Just looking at all the search results on databases in Java simply yielded much more than what I am looking for. Nor do I know how to narrow the search since I am pretty new to Java itself. For my school semestral project, my team is to use Java to create a library systems and it uses databases to store its data of course. We aren''t limited to using any kind of database, but keywords would be SQL and Oracle I think? We haven''t covered any of this in our coursework just yet, so yeah, I am clueless. Thus I turn to the great minds of gamedev.net (you can tell I''m a little desperate) for help. Are there any tutorials out there that will enlighten me on my predicament. Oh, scratch that, given the amount of java tutorials out there, there certainly is at least one. So, drop me some links! Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/jdbc/

JDBC is what you need to know on the java end, SQL is what you need to know on the database end.

JDBC is simple, it''s nicely done. SQL of course is uglier than sin but it aint too bad. There''s plenty of SQL tutorials out there.

Oracle is fine if you''re willing to spend (a lot) of money. It''s geared towards professional use. What you probably want is mysql, a free database that has a JDBC driver available. If you are on Windows and have Microsoft Access you could also use that, getting it to work with JDBC is really easy.
Thanks tortoise =p

So from what you''re saying, you have to use JDBC for any database stuff? Okiez, getting right on it.
Technically you don''t have to, unless you enjoy pains in the ass

The Artist Formerly Known as CmndrM

http://chaos.webhop.org
Yeah, you don''t have to use JDBC, but why wouldn''t you? It makes it so easy, and universal. With JDBC you can first use say MySQL, and then later if you want to run off an Oracle database you just have to change one line of code.
I agree with tortoise on this one. I just finished a databases class last quarter and we used JDBC to connect to an Oracle database. The project was to create a stock market system, using JDBC was really easy, my partner wrote a class to handle the connections and queries and that was all we had to do, the rest of the project was spent developing a useful GUI and creating the right queries.

"I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
--Voltaire
"Pfft, Facts! Facts can be used to prove anything!" -- Homer J. Simpson
quote:if you want to run off an Oracle database you just have to change one line of code.

You don''t necessarily even have to change the code at all. The JDBC driver is often dynamically loaded from a name passed as a string and easily included in the app''s configuration.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement