Arb_tex_compress valid any more?

Started by
5 comments, last by duhroach 20 years, 8 months ago
i''ve been using anistropric filtering in my textures for a few months now, and wanted to impliment arb_texture_compression. But my question is, does anyone else still use this? More so, doesn''t it negate mipmap generation? which would negate my usave of anistrop filtering wouldn''t it? Does anyone know? ~Main == Colt "MainRoach" McAnlis Programmer www.badheat.com/sinewave
==Colt "MainRoach" McAnlisGraphics Engineer - http://mainroach.blogspot.com
Advertisement
ARB compressed textures, correct me if I''m wrong, is for use with S3TC texture compression, which is the same as the DXTC (.dds) texture format.. which includes mipmaps in the file.
I use it. It''s good. It''s ultra fast too (you can load around 100 256x256 textures / sec I''ve found, but maybe thats just some weird luck I''ve had or something).

Consider it.

| - Project-X - On hold.. - | - adDeath - | - email me - |
So are you saying that the ARB texCompression is only valid when using the .dds (S3TC) format? that''d be a bummer to change all my file formats around.

thanks for the info rip

~Main

==
Colt "MainRoach" McAnlis
Programmer
www.badheat.com/sinewave
==Colt "MainRoach" McAnlisGraphics Engineer - http://mainroach.blogspot.com
OpenGL is providing way for automatic compression man...take a look at the EXT_texture_compression_S3TC

"Tonight we strike,there is thunder in the sky,together we''ll fight,some of us will die,but they''ll always remember that we''ve made a stand and many will die by hand!" - ManOwaR
automatic compression doesn''t give the huge load speed advantage though... Since there is no format conversion. And I _think_ the compression is lower quality, but I can''t say for sure.

nVidia provide a very nice .dds photoshop export plugin if you want to take a look. Ati also have compressonator, which is equally as good, but a stand alone app.

| - Project-X - On hold.. - | - adDeath - | - email me - |
quote:Original post by duhroach
So are you saying that the ARB texCompression is only valid when using the .dds (S3TC) format? that''d be a bummer to change all my file formats around.

thanks for the info rip

~Main

==
Colt "MainRoach" McAnlis
Programmer
www.badheat.com/sinewave

arb_texture_compression provides "A framework upon which extensions providing specific compressed image formats can be built."

so it should be valid for any format that ur card supports (GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, s3tc...)

I use DXT1 and DXT5 compressed .DDS textures + mipmaps included. It is fast and it improves performance a bit.
A 512x256 bitmap:

As bitmap without compression - 384 kb
Bitmap and 10 mipmaps without compression - about 700 kb
As DXT1 dds including 10 mipmaps - 86 kb

So you also save much of video memory.

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Member of the Shove Pouya Off A Cliff club, SPOAC. (If you wish to join, add this line to your signature.)Member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association, UNA (to join put this in your sig)"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement