Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

msn12b

VSIP is free!

Arild Fines    968
Yeah, it''s pretty neat, and it''s the right way for MS to go. They have everything to gain by having Visual Studio .NET seen as a more open platform. Hopefully we''ll see lots of cheap/free packages for various compilers, tools etc...

I''m not too crazy about the license, though - it seems a bit restrictive. Open sourcing anything would be impossible under this license.

AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.

MDI    266
[Off topic] You're on probation, Arild?

This is the tale of a Northern Soul, looking to find his way back home

[edited by - MDI on August 9, 2003 2:46:17 PM]

CpMan    532
I didn''t look too closely at the liscense.....does it imply you can''t opensource the actual VSIP code you write..or write code for opensource product integration? Needless, it would be neat to see VS.NET integration for all kinds of languages...some kind of the world''s first "complete" IDE.

VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.

thona    100
::Is VSIP a (free) program for VS.NET addin developers?

No, it is not for addin developers. It is for people extensding VS.NET (own compilers, project types etc.).

::does it imply you can''t opensource the actual VSIP code you
::write

No.

BUT:
* You need to get a deployment key, for thsis your code must run in an automated test suite without causing problems.
* You need to upgrade your modules regularly.

It is not a free ride for wannabe opensource developers.

It is great for certain commercial apps, though, that were not really worth 3000 USD a year to get into the program :-) I have such a thing here.

Arild Fines    968
quote:
Original post by CpMan
I didn''t look too closely at the liscense.....does it imply you can''t opensource the actual VSIP code you write..

The relevant section is this:

You shall not expose or enable others to expose the functionality contained in the Integration Code in a manner that allows it to be accessed or used by any third party product. By way of example but not limitation, You may not disclose the Integration Code to third parties in source code form;

Integration Code is defined thus:

“Integration Code” means the software code that You develop through use of the VSIP-SDK to integrate Your Eligible Products into Visual Studio .NET Technology.

Arild Fines    968
quote:
Original post by thona
* You need to get a deployment key, for thsis your code must run in an automated test suite without causing problems.

Doesn''t look very automated to me:

To run the VSIT suite

Launch Visual Studio.
Open the VSIT sign-off document (VSITSignoff.xls).
This document is located on your hard drive in the deployment folder of VSIP as part of a VSIP installation.

Conduct each of the individual tests. Each step should be verified based on the criteria for that task.
Select PASS when the witnessed behavior is the same as the expected behavior.
Select FAIL if you are unable to successfully verify the required behavior
Select N/A if not applicable.
Note For each FAIL or N/A, please provide a comment on your record sign-off document for that task.
Send the completed sign-off document to Microsoft with your PLK application.