Free C compiler?

Started by
4 comments, last by En3my 20 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I am in the process of learning x86 assembly language, and as a "reverse" part of the learning I would like to see what a compiler does to C code. Anyone know of a free ANSI C compiler with disassembly functionality? At the moment I have a Windows XP system, but next week I will install Linux as well. Thanks a million!
Advertisement
If you don''t mind it defaulting to AT&T-style assembly output (it can be set to Intel-style assembly with "-masm=intel") GCC has probably the best mainstream pure-C compiler out there. Free (in both ways) of course.

GCC is virtually the only compiler used for Linux development (Intel''s compiler is used a bit, and other unixes use their own compilers sometimes). Dev-C++ comes with GCC''s C and C++ compilers if you want a quick and easy to install build for Windows (you can use them at the command line if you''d like).

I think some of them more recent versions of GCC use the Intel syntax. I can''t confirm it, I just remember reading it somewhere.
"I thought Genius lived in bottles..." - Patrick Star
3.2 doesn''t, I doube they changed something like that for 3.3.

It might be possible to ... wait a second, are we talking the inline asm, or the output to [g]as(if as is used?) or err... nevermind, go read some manuals I sure have to.. is gas really used in the compile process?
http://www.openwatcom.org

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

lcc-win32 A free C compiler for windows, only a 3 MB download. The -S switch will generate an .asm file from your C sources - using AT&T syntax as well.

There''s also a new C compiler based on lcc that uses Intel syntax, but I haven''t played around with it that much. Pelle''s C
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement