Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

En3my

FAR and NEAR pointers?

Hi, I have been wondering for quite some time what all those FAR and NEAR pointers are all about when programming WIN32? Why do they exist at all? Thanks for taking your time to explain this concept to me!

Back in the 16 bit days, you had segments. Each segment could address 64K of data. A near pointer was for referencing data in the default segment, and a far pointer was for referencing data in another segment. NEAR was a 16 bit offset, while FAR was a 16 bit offset and a 16 bit segment identifier.

In Win32 you have a flat 32 bit address space. Everything can be referenced with a 32 bit near pointer. But now instead of segments we have selectors. Generally you don''t need to worry about them at all, but the OS uses different selectors to refer to memory of different processes, or memory specific to the OS. A far pointer would be a 48 bit pointer including a selector and an offset.

At least, that''s how a 32 bit assembler would see things. These days C compilers tend to ignore the keywords "near" and "far" and just give you a 32 bit near pointer. There may be some way to get MSVC to use a 48-bit far pointer, but as I''ve never needed such a thing, I have no idea how to make one, or if it''s even possible.

So, in short, they''re a throw back to Intel''s early architecture. Don''t worry about them.