When to use display lists

Started by
13 comments, last by desertcube 20 years, 8 months ago
What video card do you have? I don''t think all video cards take advantage of display lists, which I suppose could slow it down.
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
Advertisement
I have a radeon 9500 with catalyst3.6. Does it vary with different drivers as I ahve noticed switching screens using the NeHe bascode has become very slow with the new release.
quote:Original post by desertcube
I have a radeon 9500....

You should be using DirectX 9.0 for your rendering with your card, you would get a lot better performance out of it than OpenGL.

But then again if you are going to release the software out to the rest of the world... (mutters off to himself)

Extracting Patch....
Initializing Windows XP Update Path 2543663B....
Core Dumped, Now Installing Linux.....

----
Mike
Team AI: Http://members.iinet.net.au/~slyons/teamai
I have directX 9.0b installed, but I find some games prepher OpenGL. The main game I play is Counter-Strike(based on HalfLife) and I find I get higher fps then in DirectX, maybe half life was optimized for OpenGL?
quote:Original post by desertcube
I have directX 9.0b installed, but I find some games prepher OpenGL. The main game I play is Counter-Strike(based on HalfLife) and I find I get higher fps then in DirectX, maybe half life was optimized for OpenGL?

HalfLife uses DirectX 6 or 7 I think... OpenGL compared to DX < 8.1 is a lot faster... from there on DX was about equal until now. I actually find DX9 rendering run faster than OpenGL as DX9 is really well optimized and programmed now. And I am even using a NVidia card and getting those results.

Extracting Patch....
Initializing Windows XP Update Path 2543663B....
Core Dumped, Now Installing Linux.....

----
Mike
Team AI: Http://members.iinet.net.au/~slyons/teamai

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement