how many lines in your program?

Started by
21 comments, last by AndreTheGiant 20 years, 8 months ago
Some software engineering methods use a technique of counting semi-collens. (My company uses this method) It''s not 100% accurate but it''s close enough. Whitespace and comments are insignificant for the perposes of counting code. Even though the time spent on commenting is importaint.

Counting lines of code is only useful if you work in places that record historical data, like lines of code and man-months.

This is useful information when gathered over time. It can give you insite into your programming process and measure performance.

I''m guessing in game companies and independent projects this would be less of an issue.
==========================big kid with adult powers==========================
Advertisement
I coded a game engine it was 24,000 lines ^^ small but effeicent
Most of my projects that I''ve looked at we''re in the 1,000 - 10,000 range (including comments). Once I reach a few thousand lines, I start looking heavily into creating components that I can reuse eventually. And I end up not including the functions I "generalize" because they are no longer part of my project per se.

Much like a function shouldn''t be too long, a project should often be broken into independant chunks.

Cédric

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement