Why **?

Started by
10 comments, last by shakazed 20 years, 8 months ago
What do you use the double asterisk for (using ptrs) in C++???
Advertisement
the ** is a pointer to a pointer.
TechleadEnilno, the Ultima 2 projectwww.dr-code.org/enilno
A pointer to a pointer is used to change values of what a pointer is pointing to, I think.
quote:Original post by Typhoon
A pointer to a pointer is used to change values of what a pointer is pointing to, I think.

o_O

No, it''s not. Maybe you''re thinking of the dereferencing operator?

quote:Original post by twix
quote:Original post by Typhoon

o_O

No, it''s not. Maybe you''re thinking of the dereferencing operator?

Something like this

type **ptr;

a pointer to a pointer.

*ptr will change I thing what a pointer points to and **ptr will change the thing a pointer points is what I meant.

I still don''t understand you, but I think you know what a pointer pointer is. Just work on expressing yourself clearly.
a pointer to pointer is just a pointer variable that holds the address of another pointer variable i think..

so if i declare

int **A;
int *B;
int C;

C = 10;

B = &C

/* *B would equal 10 */

A = &B

/* pointer to pointer A now holds the address where pointer variable B is located */

A would retrieve the address of B
*A would retrieve the value of B which is the address of C
**A would retrieve the value of C which is 10

Am i Right? I dunno. Plz correct me.
Right. Pointer pointers are useful for 2D arrays and such.
Correct DangerDuo. A pointer to a pointer is just that. Its a way to change the address to which the associated pointer is pointing. Typically you see this in things like functions that must change the pointer. They will have a **ptr arguement and would be called like so: func(&ptr); I''ve also heard them called double-pointers as well, saying ''pointer to a pointer'' is kind of a pain, though ''double-pointers'' could be seen as a bit ambiguous.

Ravyne, NYN Interactive Entertainment
[My Site][My School][My Group]

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Okay! Thanks dudes!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement