Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Samith

Input libraries

Are there any good input libraries besides the DirectInput one? I don''t want a flamewar here with a bunch of people yelling about what Input library is the best, I just want to know some decent alternatives to the DirectX one.

SDL provides a simple and good interface for both graphics, sound and input. You can choose from both joystick, mouse and keyboard or use them all at the same time.

Although remember, if you are using SDL only for input, then you''re actually using a whole graphics library for input.

Another thing to note, SDL is portable across many systems, so the input will probably work on other machines than windows, whereas the DirectX code you are obviously coding in won''t.

(If you are using OpenGL and want input with DirectInput then I want to reccomend changing to SDL, since you can use OGL from SDL for rendering. Go to www.libsdl.org)

I agree, SDL is really easy to use. Personally, that is what I use for my games. However, if you are doing something more complicated like remapping the input devices you are probably stuck with DirectX because, (I could be wrong but) I don''t think SDL supports that.

Nicholas Skapura
skapura.2@wright.edu
http://skap.8k.com

I''m really not going to be doing anything too complicated, all I need is a keyboard and mouse input system. And I didn''t want to start coding it in DirectX because I am doing the graphics with OpenGL, and it just doesn''t feel right using DX and OGL in the same program

Thanks for the answer, I''ll go check out SDL.