Win32: mIRC like interface

Started by
5 comments, last by Vangelis 20 years, 8 months ago
In mIRC, in the actual chat window, it displays a window on the left with all the chat text, and a seperate frame on the right that displays all the people in the channel. What win32 (not MFC) elements go into something like this? I know how to display text, scroll bars etc. but having two frames confuses me. Also are the names on the right just buttons, where clicking them performs an actions? (in mIRC's case, opens a private message) [edited by - Vangelis on August 10, 2003 2:44:43 AM]
---------------------Ryan Bujnowicz[ vangelis ]
Advertisement
There are several ways to do it. One is create a dialog that contains all the controls and create it as a child of the main window, and set the size of the window to match the dialog size (plus menu size if needed). The other way, and more like what mIRC does is use a splitter window. MFC has a class that implements these. It wouldn''t be that hard to make a splitter window from scratch that splits the main window into 3 regions, left pane, splitter, and right pane. Then simply create your controls as children of the window, and position the controls into their respective panes.
You can use plain ol'' splitters in Win32 (Common Controls I think)... although you''ll have to look in the MSDN for their actual name, and they are probably a bit tricky to set up (I use C#, which requires you do some docking order stuff to set them up)
There is no common control splitter that I know of. I have checked MSDN and it is not listed in the list of common controls.
Searching through the MSDN gave me this Splitter Window , but I believe that technique uses MFC. I'm looking for something similar, but the splitter can be static.

Any ideas?

[edited by - Vangelis on August 11, 2003 6:03:36 AM]
---------------------Ryan Bujnowicz[ vangelis ]
The list of people''s names is just that, a list. I suspect it''s derived CListView, but you could use the Win API to just create a List Control and position it on the side of the window. Same thing goes for the edit box that allows typing of text. It''d be kinda a hack, but you could make it all on the same window And I doubt the names are buttons. There''s probably a message handler for the mouse click on an entry in the list control. For something like an IRC program, MFC or another library will help you out a lot. If you''re making a game, then perhaps the Win32 API is the way to go.

--------------------

You are not a real programmer until you end all your sentences with semicolons; (c) 2000 ROAD Programming

You are unique. Just like everybody else.

"Mechanical engineers design weapons; civil engineers design targets."
"Sensitivity is adjustable, so you can set it to detect elephants and other small creatures." -- Product Description for a vibration sensor

Yanroy@usa.com

--------------------

You are not a real programmer until you end all your sentences with semicolons; (c) 2000 ROAD Programming
You are unique. Just like everybody else.
"Mechanical engineers design weapons; civil engineers design targets."
"Sensitivity is adjustable, so you can set it to detect elephants and other small creatures." -- Product Description for a vibration sensor

Yanroy@usa.com

MIrc has always seemed a bit un-Windowsish to me. I wouldn''t be surprised if the controls are custom made.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement