Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bad Maniac

Need help , someone with a 16 bit 555 card...

Can someone with a 16-bit 555 graphics card please check if this runs, and if it produces the right output? I only have 3 565 cards at my disposal, so I cannot test it. If it comes out looking weird, please get a screenshot, so I can try and work out what's wrong. Thanks. Also, if you have a pre MMX PC you can run it, and if you get a message box telling you tht you need MMX, I know that that function also works =D Heres the: Clicky linky thingy The more I think, the more confussed I get. [edited by - Bad Maniac on August 10, 2003 9:07:39 AM]

Everything looked fine for me. Unfortunately, I don''t think my cards use 15bit modes.

I had a question though, did those alpha blended bitmaps have a "universal" alpha value, or did each pixel have varying alpha values? They were moving, so I couldn''t tell.

"555" is a card that in 16 bpp mode supports 5 bits for red,5 bits for green and 5 bits for blue.The most significant bit is skipped.Newer video cards use this bit for the green component so we have 565.

"Tonight we strike,there is thunder in the sky,together we''ll fight,some of us will die,but they''ll always remember that we''ve made a stand and many will die by hand!" - ManOwaR

Before any one asks why green gets 6 bits while red and blue only get''s 5 each, is because the eye is aparently more sensitive to green light levels, thus having more levels of intensity in the green channel makes sense.

Most graphic cards today are 565, some (all?) Matrox cards use 555 though, and I was told certain old Ati cards, and pretty much everythin pre 3D acceleration used 555. But I might be horribly wrong here, this is only what I have been told, and I haven''t made any effort what so ever, to find out for a fact wich cards are 555 and not =)

Yes it was quite important back in the old days to find which cards support 555 or 565.I know that old NVidia cards(Vanta,TNT?) support 555 but i''m not quite sure.Also VooDoo 1/2 were 555.I don''t know about ATI but there was some RagePro or something cards that was also 555.Well that''s it.And remember folks - 16 bit ROX!

"Tonight we strike,there is thunder in the sky,together we''ll fight,some of us will die,but they''ll always remember that we''ve made a stand and many will die by hand!" - ManOwaR