True Frame Rate

Started by
4 comments, last by Qoy 23 years, 9 months ago
My game gives me a frame rate of 86 on my computer, and 60 on my friends, meaning that it''s being limited by the refresh rate of the card. I was wondering, is there any way to find the true frame rate, as in, how many times your loop actually could be calculated per second without video card limitations, short of just skipping the drawing and outputting to the debugger?
Advertisement
My guess would be no; not unless you skip the rendering all together...

Lower your res & increase your refresh rate

And if it's above 86... add more stuff! then optimize more

On second thought yes there is.
Create a seperate thread for rendering apart from game logic - see my Thread discussion thread

*Note* That is not an easy task (to do from the beginning, much less now that you seem to be a long ways into the project)
Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on June 25, 2000 9:41:26 PM

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on June 25, 2000 9:42:55 PM
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Try disabling the v-sync on your friend's computer. It can sometimes be foudn in advanced or specialized display properties. If he has a little monitor icon or some special display properties in teh taskbar, you can also use that.

The trouble with multithreading and ignoring the actual display is that the rendering takes up a very significant amount of time in the render process, and if you multithread and mutex correctly, the framerate will still be limited by the draw rate, which is "locked" to the refresh rate.

Edited by - Assassin on June 25, 2000 9:49:06 PM
Assassin, aka RedBeard. andyc.org
oh yeah, if you tell directX to not wait for a verticle refresh it''ll fly!

introduce flicker though
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
If you are using direct draw, and you flip your buffers,
you can specify the DDFLIP_NOVSYNC flag to bypass the
monitor rate. I know you can use the same sort of thing
in opengl (as per the quake II timedemo)

----------
Disco Love For Everyone
----------"i think that all this talking and such is paining my head to astounding annoyance" - Erick"Quoting people in your tag is cool. Quoting yourself is even cooler" - SpazBoy_the_MiteyDisco Love For Everyone
The v-sync ideas are what I would do, but I guess you could also do something like measuring the code''s execution time in milliseconds with the system''s clock and then interpolating.

lntakitopi@aol.com | http://geocities.com/guanajam/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement