Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bobster

vertex buffer updating

bobster    157
hi, I''ve got quite a simple problem that i just can''t seem to find the right documentation to solve. I using DX 9.0a and I''ve created a vertex buffer using a function InitVB(): HRESULT InitVB() { // Initialize 2 sets of four vertices for rendering 2 trianglestrips CUSTOMVERTEX vertices[] = { { 100.0f+a.x, 250.0f-(a.y*140.0f), 0.5f, 1.0f, 0xffffffff, 0.0f, 1.0f}, // x, y, z, rhw, color { 100.0f+a.x, 200.0f-(a.y*140.0f), 0.5f, 1.0f, 0xffffffff, 0.0f, 0.0f}, { 150.0f+a.x, 250.0f-(a.y*140.0f), 0.5f, 1.0f, 0xffffffff, 1.0f, 1.0f}, { 150.0f+a.x, 200.0f-(a.y*140.0f), 0.5f, 1.0f, 0xffffffff, 1.0f, 0.0f}, }; CUSTOMVERTEX verticesb[] = { { 150.0f+b.x, 250.0f-(b.y*140.0f), 1.0f, 1.0f, 0xffffffff, 0.0f, 1.0f}, // x, y, z, rhw, color { 150.0f+b.x, 200.0f-(b.y*140.0f), 1.0f, 1.0f, 0xffffffff, 0.0f, 0.0f}, { 200.0f+b.x, 250.0f-(b.y*140.0f), 1.0f, 1.0f, 0xffffffff, 1.0f, 1.0f}, { 200.0f+b.x, 200.0f-(b.y*140.0f), 1.0f, 1.0f, 0xffffffff, 1.0f, 0.0f}, }; // Create the vertex buffer. Here we are allocating enough memory // (from the default pool) to hold all our 3 custom vertices. We also // specify the FVF, so the vertex buffer knows what data it contains. if( FAILED( g_pd3dDevice->CreateVertexBuffer( 4*sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX), 0, D3DFVF_CUSTOMVERTEX, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &g_pVB, NULL ) ) ) { return E_FAIL; } if( FAILED( g_pd3dDevice->CreateVertexBuffer( 4*sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX), 0, D3DFVF_CUSTOMVERTEX, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &g_pVBb, NULL ) ) ) { return E_FAIL; } // Now we fill the vertex buffer. To do this, we need to Lock() the VB to // gain access to the vertices. This mechanism is required becuase vertex // buffers may be in device memory. VOID* pVertices; if( FAILED( g_pVB->Lock( 0, sizeof(vertices), (void**)&pVertices, 0 ) ) ) return E_FAIL; memcpy( pVertices, vertices, sizeof(vertices) ); g_pVB->Unlock(); VOID* pVerticesb; if( FAILED( g_pVBb->Lock( 0, sizeof(verticesb), (void**)&pVerticesb, 0 ) ) ) return E_FAIL; memcpy( pVerticesb, verticesb, sizeof(verticesb) ); g_pVBb->Unlock(); return S_OK; } However, I''m currently using this function in my main game loop to update teh information stored in these two vertex buffers, which is causing the program to crash by making the system fill the memory with updated versions of these buffers rather than updating just one copy of the buffers. I tried using g_pVB->Release to scrap the vertex buffer and start again each game loop, but of course this failed, what I need is a cut down copy of this function that updates the buffer rather than filling the memory, so I can use that function instead once within the game loop. I tried to implement a UpdateVB() function using just the last bit of the above code where it locks and updates the buffer, but of course it gave problems with vertices and verticesb being declared in InitVB(), leading me to maybe think I should create a ManipulateVB class which contains both the two functions and all the necessary declarations. What should I do? thanks very much for any replies