Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Erkki

storing bezier curves

I''m making a simple 2D game that has roads made of beziers and lines. Also polys, lines and beziers are used for some other terrain. I have two options for how to store the beziers: 1) Only use Bezier curves (defined by 4 control points) in the editor. For the game, store them as calculated points. + needs less processing power - needs more memory and takes up more disk space 2) Store Bezier curves by the 4 control points. Calculate the points in real time. - needs more processing power + needs less memory and takes up less disk space + easy to implement a level of detail system (it''s needed in some places -- the beziers are not only used in the main game view but also map view and pathfinding) What do you think is best? Or maybe a combination of the two?

Bezier curves are nice, but you might want to look into Hermite curves instead - they tend to be more intuitive (so good for use in the editor) and you can force the curve to be continuous.

How about:
-> Store curves as control points
-> Tessalate curve into points when in/near view.
-> Cache tessalation results, discard when non-visible or far from camera.

How are the Hermites more intuitive? I tried and they don''t seem to be as flexible. And somewhy the first control point doesn''t seem to change the starting curve a lot.

I also tried catmull-roms but my code only allowed 4 points currently so I didn''t get to see if they would bend nicer with more points.

One of the most intuitive curves I''ve found on the net seems to be a collection of 4-point beziers with the control points hidden (so that the curve went through all the points that were visible) and with collinear tangents at the joints. I didn''t look into the formula of how they found the control points yet. Moving one point has mostly a local effect.