• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

idinkin

DLL in Linux

This topic is 5518 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys! If my engine is a DLL and I use SDL for i/o, creating windows etc. will it work on linux? Thanx in advance..

Advertisement
Linux has full support for .so files (the Unix equivalent to .dll) so provided you know how to compile and load it in Linux you should be fine.

So I have to compile the code in a special Linux compiler?
Is there a posibility not to do that and to use the same file for numerous operating systems?

Yes, you have to compile your code for Linux. Try gcc. You''ll probably have to make changes to your code if you didn''t write it in a cross-platform manner, (if you used Microsoft MFC classes like CString, for example). You can''t compile on Windows or Mac and run on Linux, if that''s what you''re asking.

But I do not use platform specific APIs.. I use SDL and OpenGL and my code is written in cross-platform maner, so I have to compile it seperately for every platform?

yes.

but if you really use only cross-platform libraries, and non-platform-specific code, it shouldn''t be much trouble.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!