Glut

Started by
9 comments, last by shakazed 20 years, 8 months ago
Prolly been asked 34232432 times already, but is it a good thing to start learning ogl using glut? Is there a big difference in using it and making your own window? Bad Monkey Productions
Advertisement
If you''re not going to use straight OpenGL, I''d recommend SDL instead of GLUT.
Well I guess for a start I wanna go strictly opengl.
I use GLUT over win32/DirectInput (I have tried all three). It is much quicker and easier to develop with. You do get more functionality with the others but you won''t need that stuff for years.

DirectInput can allow you to make use of funky control devices like force-feedback joysticks.

You would need to use win32 if you wanted a fully multi-tasking windows-compatible application but you don''t really need it for games. There are a few lines of win32 in my code to set the mouse cursor position which GLUT cannot do, but all the basic work is done by GLUT.

Geocyte Has Committed Suicide.
Geocyte Has Committed Suicide.
Ok. Yeah I guess it would be to reinvent the wheel if I started using the win32 api. I doubt I could make it more effecient at this time than glut does it. Might be that I´ll use it later on if I let´s say wanted to do an editor or something, but for now I´ll go glut.
Glut isn''t updated anymore!! Use SDL.

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Member of the Shove Pouya Off A Cliff club, SPOAC. (If you wish to join, add this line to your signature.)Member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association, UNA (to join put this in your sig)"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Hmm, ok. I guess I´ll check that out
So SDL isn´t doing graphics, it just handles sound/input etc? Like DirectX - d3d?
SDL can do 2D graphics, input, sound, and quite a few other things, and it can be used in combination with OpenGL for 3D graphics.
quote:Original post by shakazed
So SDL isn´t doing graphics, it just handles sound/input etc? Like DirectX - d3d?

Something like this, but SDL is platform independet of course.

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Member of the Shove Pouya Off A Cliff club, SPOAC. (If you wish to join, add this line to your signature.)Member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association, UNA (to join put this in your sig)"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement