Soundblaster Live! value drivers for Linux?

Started by
8 comments, last by Nervo 20 years, 8 months ago
I''ve tried using the sndconfig utility that I downloaded from the rpm site and to no avail I still can''t get sound to work. Has anyone configured this card before and can let me in on how I might be able to get it to work with RH 8? KTHXBYE!!~~!1!
Well, R2D22U2..
Advertisement
I have a soundblaster Live! card that works under Debian. I had to install the emu10k1 module when I compiled the kernel and then I run the esound daemon when I login to Linux. I dont know if it works with other sound daemons as esound is the first one I tried and it worked so I didnt bother checking any others. I think the emu10k1 module is the important part though.

"I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
--Voltaire
"Pfft, Facts! Facts can be used to prove anything!" -- Homer J. Simpson
This one should be quite easy.
If you want to use oss:
# modprobe emu10k1
et voila, sound should be working, you can adjust mixer volumes to suit your needs.
Or, if you want to use Alsa, you can download and build the Alsa drivers. This should be pretty staightforward if you follow the instructions in the documentation.
Good luck!

SwSh website!
Thanks guys! I got it up and running with the Alsa drivers with module emu10k1. The funny thing is that though I''m able to play sound now, it is not perfect. What I mean is I get a hollow sound with the music like if you cranked your speakers all the way up and were not playing music the "sssssss" noise you would hear. I''m hardly a Linux expert much less a sound expert either.
Well, R2D22U2..
The emu10k1 that comes with the kernel is outdated, that could be your problem (it worked with my Live 5.1, but when I upgraded to Audigy2 I had to get the more recent drivers.

try getting the latest emu10k1 drivers off of cvs @ sourceforge - they come with a config utility that could let you turn the bass and treble up (that seems like it could be your problem).

hth, Dustin
quote:The funny thing is that though I''m able to play sound now, it is not perfect. What I mean is I get a hollow sound with the music like if you cranked your speakers all the way up and were not playing music the "sssssss" noise you would hear.
It''s called distortion, just so you know. Anyway, I have a SB Live!, and I get the problem you''re describing under windows from time to time. Usually it just goes away (I reboot a lot to switch between windows and linux, so that might be it).
---New infokeeps brain running;must gas up!
Actually its not distortion Flarelock. At least the way I define it. The sound is seperate to the music if that makes sense. The music itelf is perfectly fine but it as if the volume is cranked way up but the music itself is not cranked at the same level with it so what is heard is speaker noise on top of it but not distorting the actual sound. Hard to describe, admittedly! And the problem is only with the left speaker. So I''ll have to try and tinker around with the physical connections a bit.
Well, R2D22U2..
heh. my left speaker occasionally just plain konks out. have to crank up the sound a bit and fire a gunshot and the loud noise seems to make it work again.

I think it has to do with the wire going under the monitor... i dunno.
Usually when my speakers make sounds that are quiet but also have some hissing or something, it is because they are not plugged into the computer properly. They might be just the tiniest bit out of the port. Verify that they are tightly in by unplugging and plugging them back in.

Then again, it could be the speakers themselves. Sometimes the best way to improve your sound is by getting better speakers. Or speaker cables. Stronger cables make for better sound.

Or again, it could be the drivers. If it is, you just have to get better drivers.
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
Run alsamixergui and lower the PCM volume until it doesn''t sound hollow.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement