Level Editor Questions

Started by
2 comments, last by Zorbfish 20 years, 8 months ago
I started working on a level editor today. One of the first things I have begun to wonder about is how to render the map document in the application. Do I use gdi and bitblt everything or do people use directx inside the client area? Also I''m wondering how to make the client area smaller (for example I''d like to put a form containing controls to the right of the map view). I''m doing this in win32 (don''t know mfc, but wish I did). I also got VC++.net and tried to do winforms but I have no idea how to work them, and the docs are no help either. I''ve also tried to examine mappy''s source, but there''s so much in that program that I can''t make out heads or tails from it.
Advertisement
Tried mailing the author of mappy? There''s bound to be a simple version of it available.
---Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift and that's why it's called the present.
my games are created in c++, but my map editors, object editors, sprite animation program i make are all done in visual basic.
Because you touch yourself at night!
how you want to do your map editor is upto you, you can use gdi or directx. Anyways, as for restricting where it is drawn you can do that other ways too, just draw only where you want it drawn within the window or you can back buffer a section of the map to be viewed, the size you want it to be viewed, and copy it to the client area. nothing''s wrong with making map editors in c++ I dont know mfc or vb, just c++, and it''s satisfied all my needs

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement