Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aaron Cox

Simple input problem

Aaron Cox    122
here''s the code: void TavernOptions() { int option; // For user input // cout << endl << "What would you like to do?" << endl << "1) Talk to the barkeep 2) Talk to the barmaid 3) Talk " << "to the man in the shadows\n" << "4) Exit the tavern 5) See more options. "; cin >> option; switch(option) { case 1: cout << endl << "You talk to the barkeep" << endl; break; case 2: cout << endl << "You sit and talk to the barmaid" << endl; break; case 3: cout << endl << "You talk to the man in the shadows" << endl; break; case 4: cout << endl << "You exit the tavern" << endl; break; case 5: cout << endl << "You see more options" << endl; break; default: cout << endl << "That is not an option. Please try again." << endl; TavernOptions(); break; } } when the user inputs a character instead of an integer, this thing goes into an endless loop. I''ve tried all kinds of stuff and it appears that when a char is enter, "cin" is totally ignored the next time the function is called. is there anyway around this or maybe a better way to handle bad input? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lektrix    106
If I understand you correctly, you might want to try replacing this:

std::cin >> option;

with this:

while ( !(std::cin >> option) )
{
    std::cin.clear();
    while ( std::cin.get() != ''\n'' )
        continue;

std::cerr << "Error: Invalid input." << std::endl;
    std::cout << "Please re-enter option: ";
}

(Sorry, you''ll have to remove all the qualifications (''std::''s) - I''m just used to qualifying. )

[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || STL || Boost || MSDN || GotW || MSVC++ Library Fixes || BarrysWorld || E-Mail Me ]