glGenTextures(10, textureNames);

int width, height;

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textureNames[0]);
  blockTex[0] = LoadBitmapFile("box1.bmp", &width, &height);
  if( blockTex[0] == NULL )
    printf("Something happened in LoadBitmapFile!\n");
  else
  {
    glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR); // linear magnification

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR); // linear minification

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, width, height, 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, blockTex[0]);
  }
  return;
}
I''ve left out and abbreviated some of the stuff that I think is unimportant. I can post full versions if this turns out to be not enough though. The code is crashing on glTexImage2D(). I''ve confirmed that LoadBitmapFile() is doing its job correctly, width and height are both set to 128 (the correct numbers for the bitmap) by loadBitmapFile() and blockTex[0] is a pointer to an unsigned char array of size 128*128 that contains all the bitmap data. So everything -looks- good to me. Any ideas of what I a) forgot to do, or b) am doing wrong?
Advertisement
possible problem with LoadBitmapFile, can you post some code?

idea2 : memory must have size (128*128)*3 !!!! you are loading RGB!
When I was younger, I used to solve problems with my AK-47. Times have changed. I must use something much more effective, killing, percise, pernicious, efficient, lethal and operative. C++ is my choice.
quote:Original post by exa_einstein

It is a bmp so he is loading BGR and not RGB but yes it should be 128*128*3.

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Member of the Shove Pouya Off A Cliff club, SPOAC. (If you wish to join, add this line to your signature.)Member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association, UNA (to join put this in your sig)"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Well.... duh.. It -would- help if I allocated enough memory. I was allocating width*height, not width*height*3.

Its amazing how well programs work when you allocate enough memory.

Thanks for helping point out the obvious. Would have taken me a long time to find that.
quote:Original post by ShlomiSteinberg

It is a bmp so he is loading BGR and not RGB but yes it should be 128*128*3.

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"

WHY BGR? i load some_image.bmp normally (=without swapping) and have no problems. Possible that i am from that fuckin'' Czech Rep... everything''s reversed here....
When I was younger, I used to solve problems with my AK-47. Times have changed. I must use something much more effective, killing, percise, pernicious, efficient, lethal and operative. C++ is my choice.
Nah ShlomiSteinberg is confused by the (confusing) way palettes are stored in bmp''s. Palettes do contain BGR (plus a reserved byte) colors, while normal 24-bit data is stored in RGB order.

Marijn
quote:Original post by marijnh
Nah ShlomiSteinberg is confused by the (confusing) way palettes are stored in bmp''s. Palettes do contain BGR (plus a reserved byte) colors, while normal 24-bit data is stored in RGB order.

Marijn

What normal 24-bit data?! You can store anything in anyway you want. Normal 24-bit bmps, that I create using Photoshop 7.0, are BGR. I don''t use swapping either but I use GL_BGR_EXT instead of GL_RGB.

Member of the Shove Pouya Off A Cliff club, SPOAC. (If you wish to join, add this line to your signature.)Member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association, UNA (to join put this in your sig)"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
oh my god what are you using? GL_BGR_EXT is only an extension, i have a card which doesn't know anything about GL_XXX_EXT. it is s3trio3D

once more: WHAT ARE YOU USING?! i know only GIMP and PaintShopPro4.12. Nothing more in texture world. that badobebhodozhob cannot survive...

[edited by - exa_einstein on August 12, 2003 7:10:13 AM]
oh my god what are you using? GL_BGR_EXT is only an extension, i have a card which doesn't know anything about GL_XXX_EXT. it is s3trio3D

once more: WHAT ARE YOU USING?! i know only GIMP and PaintShopPro4.12. Nothing more in texture world. that badobebhodozhob cannot survive...

[edited by - exa_einstein on August 12, 2003 7:10:13 AM]

My OpenGL application is designed only for hardware that support pixel shaders and vertex shaders so s3trio3D (what the hell is that?!) isn't supported . And yes I use the GL_EXT_bgra extension, I also use about 15 other extensions so?
And yes Photoshop, the best thing (I think so) for textures. look here

Edit: Stupid link!!!

[edited by - shlomisteinberg on August 12, 2003 7:30:50 AM]
oh my god he doesn''t know what is my S3 Trio3D with GREAT 2048KB of ULTRA FAST VIDEO MEMORY (80MB/S) and COOL support for all new drivers and APIs: dos4gw, OGL, Glide,...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement