Fullscreen/Windowed Mode with C#

Started by
2 comments, last by drewslater 20 years, 8 months ago
I am trying to be able to use either windowed or fullscreen mode as well as be able to switch between them at the users discretion. Here is the code I have right now which only works for windowed mode:

private bool InitDirect3D()
		{
			PresentParameters pParams = new PresentParameters();

if (userPrefs.bFullscreen)		// Fullscreen Settings

{
				pParams.Windowed = false;
				pParams.SwapEffect = SwapEffect.Flip;
				pParams.BackBufferWidth = Convert.ToInt32(userPrefs.resolution.width);
				pParams.BackBufferHeight = Convert.ToInt32(userPrefs.resolution.height);
				pParams.BackBufferFormat = Format.A8B8G8R8;
			}
			else							// Windowed Settings

{
				pParams.Windowed = true;
				pParams.SwapEffect = SwapEffect.Discard;
			}

// Settings which are the same regardless of fullscreen setting

pParams.DeviceWindow = renderPanel;

try
			{
				device = new Device(0,DeviceType.Hardware, renderPanel, CreateFlags.HardwareVertexProcessing, pParams);

}
			catch
			{
				MessageBox.Show("Error Initializing Direct3D - Make sure this machine meets the hardware requirements","Error");
			}

return true;
		}
The only thing that needs explaination is probably the variable renderPanel. This is a reference to a panel which fills the entire form. Can anyone tell me what calls are required for changing between fullscreen/windowed mode. I know (i think) that Device.Reset must be called but what else? Thanks ATS
Advertisement
I dunno about switching video modes in the middle of program execution, but I do know something you may want to fix in your code:

Many monitors (including my own) don't support A8B8G8R8 32-bit color. The following code can remedy this:
try{   pParams.Format = Format.A8B8G8R8}catch{   try   {      pParams.Format = Format.A8R8G8B8   }   catch(Exception e)   {      //do error handling   }}

As for switching between windowed and fullscreen, you could try the following (althought I can't guarantee it will work):
device.Dispose();device = null;...device = new Device(...); 

[edited by - langguy on August 10, 2003 9:28:53 PM]
32 bit mode on most monitors is X8R8G8B8
Thanks for the tips. I changed the format to X8R8G8B8. The thing is that the code I have will work for windowed mode but if userPrefs.bFullscreen is true then I get an exception after the call to create the device. Is there anything I need to do besides set the pParams.DeviceWindow to the panel I want to draw to and also pass that same panel to the device constructor? Do I need to manually resize the form which I am rendering to? If so how do I do this in code? (as opposed to the IDE) Thanks.

ATS

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement