SDL&OGL - how do I figure out glTexImage2D::format ?

Started by
11 comments, last by Seriema 20 years, 8 months ago
Hi! I''m loading a texture with SDL_Surface and SDL_LoadBMP, works nice. But this call flips out...

glTexImage2D(
    GL_TEXTURE_2D, 
    pTexture->m_pSDLSurface->format->BytesPerPixel,
    pTexture->m_pSDLSurface->w, 
    pTexture->m_pSDLSurface->h,
    GL_RGB,  // format... help! :)

GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,
    pTexture->m_pSDLSurface->pixels
);
I figured out how to get the most info needed directly from the SDL surface. But how do I figure out the format? Make my own GLenum format and set it with a switch(ByterPerPixel) or something? :/ Not sure what has to be done... any help is appreciated! thanx guys... (oh, and girls to! as if *heh*) "No lies of sugar can sweeten the sournes of reality" }+TITANIUM+{ A.K.A. DXnewbie[onMIRC]
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
Advertisement
Good question. I assume SDL surfaces all hav the same format.

Nehe''s tuts work. so check which format they use. (the SDL/OGL ones of course)
I used gluBuild2DMipmaps instead of glTexImage2D but maybe it can help you. This is my texture loading function :

void textureLoad(char * filename, GLuint textureArray[], int textureID){	    SDL_Surface * image;        image = IMG_Load(filename);    if (image == NULL){		printf("Error while loading %s.\n", filename);        Quit(0);    }	glGenTextures(1, &textureArray[textureID]);	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textureArray[textureID]);	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);	gluBuild2DMipmaps(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 3, image->w, image->h, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, image->pixels);    SDL_FreeSurface(image);} 

[edited by - Sork on August 10, 2003 11:46:47 PM]
and your''e sure that the surface have dimensions that are a power of 2?
AP: my texture is 64x128

Sork: you seem to say 3 BytesPerPixel and then use GL_RGB. My surface (pSDLSurface->format->BytesPerPixel) returns 1. And when I check the properties of the image (using explorer) it says 8 bits per pixel, so that seems right...

But what Format is that? :/

"No lies of sugar can sweeten the sournes of reality"

}+TITANIUM+{ A.K.A. DXnewbie[onMIRC]
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
Firstly Im not sure that OGL supports textures that aren''t
square.

1 byte per pixel would mean indexed mode, so either you need
to have SDL unpack it to a true color mode, or use an image editing proggy to change bitdepth or figoure out how to use
ogl with a palette
I resaved the image as a 24bit .bmp

C-Junkie: the SDL versions of the NeHe tutorials uses aux to load images and such, not SDL they only used SDL for window creation etc...

AP: OGL supports non square images, and you can mipmap the image so it becomes power of 2''s (if it wasn''t). I think? well either way... that''s not the problem :/

the problem is figuring out what GLenum format I should use, and how I get that info from SDL or SDL_Surface.
Anyone?

well if you have it in 24BPP rgb format it really ought to be
GL_RGB
yes... then I have to resave everything to 24 bits and my loading function isn''t very flexible...

don''t know if my question is clear, must be my stupid english.

I have this SDL_Surface I get from SDL_LoadBMP.
How do I call glTexImage2D() with the correct parameters based on that SDL_Surface?

thank you

you can use this nifty function to reformat the 8byter to whatever your screen is currently set at:

SDL_Surface *SDL_FormatDisplay( SDL_Surface * );

it reformats the image to the same depth as the screen.

24 == GL_RGB
32 == GL_RGBA
16 == no idea

Hope this helps a tad .

edit: that is, by reformats, I mean it returns a new surface that is at the same depth as the screen.

[edited by - MaulingMonkey on August 12, 2003 6:26:49 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement