• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arrogantgod

How to convert D3D TriangleList to TriangleStrip?

This topic is 6692 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I am having a lot of trouble importing a 3ds ascii file into D3D Immediate mode. I have written a parser that reads in all the data. I can display the object without fail. The problem is that the object is not smooth-shaded. I turned on gouraud shading to no avail. From what I have read, I should use triangle strips. I understand the method behind strips, but how in the world do you convert a triangle list to a triangle strip? The end result I want is smooth shaded models. Do I have to convert to strips or is there something I can do with my lists? Please help, detailed solution would be greatly welcomed! Thanks, webmaster@arrogantgod.com

Advertisement
You don''t need to convert to triangle strips. What you need is to find all connections between triangles so that you know which triangles share which vertices. When you know that you can average the triangles normals into the vertex normal. You get smooth shading when the triangles that share vertices also share normals at the vertices.

- WitchLord

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!