Help please

Started by
5 comments, last by Dajymster 20 years, 8 months ago
hello everyone. Sorry im new. so a few questions. First which programs should i use for creating games(im a noob). I wanted to hear from YOU guys. and whats the best book? And the best graphical editor out that can be afforded.
Advertisement
<< First which programs should i use for creating games(im a noob). >>

Oh my gosh another one. They keep coming. What you doing up so late anyway?

Check out the excellent articles on this forum. Contains material on the language C/C++, Win32 programming, DirectX, OpenGL. But start slow.

See the links above, start with For Beginners

Phil P
Thanks....i think. Hey man i just started and only have some clue what i need to get. What about that Milkshape program. is it any good at creating levels?
ahhh...milkshape is not for creating levels, if you want to create level you can use 3D studio max or Maya but they are expansive.If your game can load BSP levels then you can use quake editor.
I create my levels (for my game in progress) in notepad.

My point? To create levels, you must save some data to a file that your game can read. Which means that before doing even your first level, your game must be able to load levels (or you need to know exactly what the file format will be).

Besides, Milkshape is a 3D modeller. Does this mean you are planning to start on a 3D game already? Watch out, that''s a tough way of getting started.
quote:Original post by Dajymster
hello everyone. Sorry im new. so a few questions. First which programs should i use for creating games(im a noob). I wanted to hear from YOU guys. and whats the best book? And the best graphical editor out that can be afforded.

Oh dear...

These days, almost nobody creates all of a game themselves. What specific area are you interested in?

Programmers write the actual game code. I think it''s safe to say that nearly everyone on these forums fits in this category. To be a game programmer you''ll need knowledge of how to program! In particular, C and C++ are pretty much the languages of choice for writing games.

Level designers make the levels for games. What tools they use generally depends on the game. I''ll hazard a guess and say that Maya is fairly widespread as a level design tool for a variety of games, but I don''t know about this one.

Artists create the items in the game world - the characters, weapons, items, trees, rocks, everything other than the basic architecture of the level.

And there''s much more. This question has been asked and answered a million times, and in WAY more depth than I have. Do some research on the subject.
-------------"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
quote:Original post by Dajymster
hello everyone. Sorry im new. so a few questions. First which programs should i use for creating games(im a noob).

There are millions of tutorials available, but I suggest getting a book. I like the one provided in my signature a lot.

There is no "best" book, or "best" graphics editor. It all comes down to personal preference. I personally use Photoshop with 3DS (but I''m a programmer, not an artist, so don''t listen to me).

I suggest you go out, buy a book, and learn this like the back of your hand:

#include <iostream>int main(){    std::cout << "Hello Dajymster!" << std::endl;    return 0;} 
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement