Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vangelis

Traversing through enums

Say I have an enumeration like
enum ABILITY
{ 
    ABILITY_walk = 0,
    ABILITY_run,

ABILITY_count
} 
Now I have function that takes an ABILITY as a parameter.
 void ExecuteAction(ABILITY ability);  
Is there any way I can start at ABILITY_walk, and go through the whole enum until i hit count? Like this...
for(int count = 0; count < ABILITY_count;count++)
{
     ExecuteAction(count);
}  
To go through every value in ABILITY? Or does ABILITY become its own type and only ABILITY's can be passed into the function? [edited by - Vangelis on August 11, 2003 4:29:51 AM]

A question is burning on my lips : if you wander if this is possible or not, why don''t you try it yourself? It would certainly have been faster than waiting for an answer on a forum.

ABILITY should become its own type, but you can cast it to int and vice versa, so this piece of code might do what you want:

for( int count = 0; count < (int)ABILITY_count; ++count ) {

ExecuteAction( (ABILITY)count );
}

ToohrVyk

An enumeration is just like a series of #defines. The compiler can use the "names" to report more helpful warnings/errors, but for all intents and purposes, an enum value is nothing but an integer. So, your code will work fine.

I did try it and I got errors like "cannot convert parameter 1 from ''int'' to ''enum ABILITY''", but the casting thing seems to work. Thanks to those who replied, but I''m wondering if enumerations are transparently promoted to int, why I was getting the original error?

quote:
Original post by Vangelis
I did try it and I got errors like "cannot convert parameter 1 from ''int'' to ''enum ABILITY''", but the casting thing seems to work. Thanks to those who replied, but I''m wondering if enumerations are transparently promoted to int, why I was getting the original error?
I don''t remember how the automatical promotions went but what I can gather from this thread is this:
enum -> int = ok
int -> enum = not ok

Yeah. Think of it like this.

class ENUM : public INT
{
};

So, an enum is an int, but an int is not an enum (needs to be cast). It was late when I posted my reply and I missed that part of your code... sorry.