• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scene Management

This topic is 5307 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m working on a demo to show real-time lighting and shadows, but I have the though of expanding it to a full-fledged engine for a 3rd person perspective RPG (like neverwinter nights or everquest). So I was wondering about the level storage format I should use and how should I manage the scene. First question - How do I keep track of the entities in a level? Using a linked list? I mean, if I wanted to move them around, make them stick to an AI script, make them do their own collision detection and so on... How do I keep track of all these entities when the game is running? Second question - What''s the difference between scene graphs and BSP? Which one is more suitable for a project that mostly shows indoors? I heard that in Neverwinter nights, Quake and so on use BSP-trees or variants of it... Any games using Octrees or others (excluding portals) for scene storing? -LZ "Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only Light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only Love can do that."

Advertisement

• Advertisement