Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cypher Ae

I got a face lift

Turt99    283
Ewww, I couldn''t ever view your site for very long.. I went to it and got 2 popups from the splash page.. 1 which tried to install something.. so I had to close them to actually see your site.. and then I though ooh thats all I''ll get .. but nope on the next page even more..

I''m sorry you site didn''t look too bad it self but with all the ads and popups I won''t be returning..

Please visit Turt99 Productions

Email: admin@turt99.com

PaulJ    122
Ok that was fun, now that my browser isn''t frozen any more from all those popups. I really mean it those popups are really anoying and got to go before anyone could really enjoy your website.

PaulJ

PowerGFX

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
what''s the point of having a "welcome page"? IMHO it''s a total waste of time, and it''s just another way to loose visitors.
Why must i click ENTER when i''ve already clicked on a link to get to your page? PLEEEASE remove that crap.

PaulCesar    524
If i removed the popups.... 5/10
with the popups 3/10

details:

loading times: 8/10

content: 8/10 (good content, some minor grammatical errors)

layout: 3/10 (i hate frames, some of it is kind of bland)

compatability: 9/10 (havent checked browsers outside of ie, but looks good)

color schemata: 6/10 (great color scheme, seems to suit a gaming company more then a reviewing one though) The advertising (on the pages themself) is awfully distracting though, bringing you down several points. This would be a nice chance to try text advertising..... (or static advertising when you know the look)

interactability: 4/10 (its nice you can place down a poll, but howabout making it EASY for people to subit there own reviews, or have an individual poll per review. This should make it more user oriented.

updating: wouldent know this one......

Turt99    283
quote:
Original post by FrancoisSoft
quote:
Original post by Turt99

Turt99, nice graphics!!! But, I thought you said that it was a platform game. It looks just like Tetris!!! Do you like Tetris? Why do so many people remake this game?

Thanks I meant platform as in it runs on different Operating Systems.. people remake Tetris cause its simple to understand and its a great game

Cypher Ae    100
Thanks for the feedback. I''ll see what I can do about the pop ups. I didn''t realise they were so bad!
As for my grammer, although I sometimes edit my work, it''s a helluva job to edit them. If I find an error though, I try to fix it ASAP.

The frames are going to stay and as is the colour scheme because I can''t be buggered changing them. Sorry.

I''ll try and boost interaction. Actually, the title page is where I would put a counter, however I will deleate the title page. Also, with frames I don''t need a title page for a counter.

Dalik    122
Ok just checked out the site and well, nothing great about it. Graphics can be done much better, layout is below average, colors could be done better. When I look at black most of the time I feel its done very badly, black is just bad for a main color on websites. White looks more attractive, so improve your colors and you will have a better looking site, I would stay with text as much as possible because search engines search text and not graphics. Frames kills websites, and just looks poor. You can do better if you can make your menu smaller, so the scroll bar doesnt show up, or design your site so everything looks cleaner. I am talking from experience, but I take it your not using dreamweaver, which would be an awsome buy if you want to take your web design forward. Also the specs should be displayed on the review page, less clicking the better, but keep everything clean and not so cluttered.

You need current reviews, and put anything else like movies that are on DVD''s in archive and games that been out for like 9-12 months in archive. This would make your site faster to load and use less date, so I would get into datebase website programming.

I know you just finished this, but people wont come "back" to your site and thats what you want. So do this and you will be better off then you are now.

Improve graphics, and colors
New site layout
Database website
Cleaner site with flow, like this
Title
Reviewer name
Review text
Specs
Click here for more pics, show like 3 pics from the movie.. People dont always want to see pics(increase loading time)

Always try to add new content, if you cant have it so people can load reviews this will help the site a lot. This is where database comes in. One part anyways.
Add a forum

Dont beg for money, if you cant run a nice site then dont run it.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Cypher Ae
Actually, the title page is where I would put a counter, however I will deleate the title page. Also, with frames I don''t need a title page for a counter.

for me, a counter is unnecessary and unprofessional - who cares about the excact number of visits/hits? no one. you''re the only one who wants to know, for statistics etc.. it looks especially unprofessional when the counter value is very low - people will avoid sites with "0000456" hits for example. this is a small detail but i think i''m not alone with my opinion.

quote:
The frames are going to stay and as is the colour scheme because I can''t be buggered changing them. Sorry.

The colours are your very own design preference, don''t change them if you like it. but the frames are what''s breaking your site design. using a simple invisible table for every page and include''ing the menu with PHP can be done in a few minutes. frames are also bad for search engines.
OTOH you could still stay with the frames if the menu was smaller. make the logo smaller, reduce the images size, use a smaller font for the links. in any way, it will be easier to navigate your site.

Cypher Ae    100
Improve graphics, and colors

I''ll improve the Ae logo with my nice new edition of PSP7. Is that all you are refferring to.

New site layout

Don''t like frames? I''ll get rid of them.

Database website

Sorry, what do you mean by that

Cleaner site with flow, like this

Getting rid of the frames should improve that.

Title

No.

Reviewer name

Kyle Evans. It''s stated on the main page. I am the only reviewer.

Review text

What about it?

Click here for more pics, show like 3 pics from the movie.. People dont always want to see pics(increase loading time)

That''s why you have to click to see the specs. Also the images are only around 12kb and should look very quickly. Clicking on them opens a hi res version.

New content.

I try to add a new review every week. But I''ve been busy switching from Geocities to esmart.

Forum.

Ok then.

Dont beg for money, if you cant run a nice site then dont run it.

When did I beg for money? I said I didn''t have a credit card. I have no problem paying $5 to satisfy visitors.

Colours.

I''ll fix the other problems, then run some small HTML demo for colour tests and get your esteemed opinion on it.

Thanks for all your critism. After I stopped crying, I learned something.

Dalik    122
Sorry for the harsh comments but its better for you if I was blunt about it. Graphics just need some more well needs to look better, the design is fine. Change the graphics up a bit, I see AE to much.

What I ment by using a database is to make your site dynamic use asp, asp.net, php etc. By doing this you can improve your site very much with a bit more work and it can go along way. You can link review easier, and link downloads and forum posts and change them very easy.. Something to look into.

What I ment by site with flow is, you want anyone to come to your site and feel like they can find anything, they dont get lost looking for something. The way you have it now from what I remember is you got a list of reviews which will get bigger for your sake and looking through that will waste time, so consider putting in a search option. Break up the reviews into sections that branch out like a tree as an example.

This is an example structure for the layout of your reviews...

Title: Title of the project that your reviewing

Reviewer name: Person that did the review if you want to have other people send in reviews. If you want it to just be you then no need to deal with it, but for some reason that you want to change that by having people send in there own then you will have a lot of reviews to add your name too.

Review text: Just the review nothing special here

Keep your pro/con list thats nice.

Show a few pics at the bottom
Not everyone has cable/dsl. Then below the sample pics you could have a gallary for that review(click to open new page), then you can do thumbnail version then hi-res.(This will save you some money in the long run, just think if you have 20 pics at 10k each and you load all of them for each visit and they dont want to see them all then you just wasted money...

I checked out 1 review and when I clicked specs no pics came up just the rating and other stuff that didnt need to be on a seperate page.

Getting new content: Well thats fine that your switching, but remember people want reviews all the time, if they are going to come back, just think 1 review a week, 4 a month, 52 a year, doesnt sound like much overall, so if this is what you really want to do then put more time into it, first week, do a review of 2 games, 1 movie. What might help is to ask what people want reviewed, this can get you more hits.

Forum: Having one is a good idea, might grow and might not but its there, Good way to talk to your guests.

Dont beg for money: You didnt beg for money, I am just saying if you cant keep the site going because of costs then consider not expanding to much. I see it all the time, please donate money to cover this months bill. I find that really rude, then you will see membership and then banners, just not a good thing. So really consider about begging for money if you come to that stage. Keep your costs low, and expect to spend $150 a month or more if you do well.

Please dont take this to as me bashing on you, just take it as a good learning experience and a time to grow, I wish you the best of luck and look forward to see what you have taken in from this.

[edited by - Dalik on August 15, 2003 5:52:38 AM]

Cypher Ae    100
Thank you very much for your comments. I don''t see them as harsh at all. I''d rather be told the truth than a lie that will continue me creating an infierior site. As for PHP, well I plan to learn other web languages in the future, but for now I just use HTML. Also, I never took a course on HTML, I''ve pretty much self tought myself by analysing others code, as such I still need to learn a bit. The reason my text is boring is becuase that not everyone has cool fonts....wait....I just remembered that if you type several font names
i.e:
then if you dont have the first font, the computer will you the second and so on. That''s right, isn''t it?

As for costs, well it''s free. I have 20mb limit and the pop ups cover all costs. If I get a credit card. I will rid myself of the pop ups, but as I dont have one, they will have to stay for now.

Once the site is fully functional and open to the public I will update more often.

As for forums, given my lack of more in depth program abilities I need to find one of those easy create a forum things if possible a la HTMLgear.com

Well, I''ll upload the new non frame thingy now.. and fix the other things later.

Cheers, comrade
Kyle Evans,
Artificial entertainment [Movie/Game Reviews]
Editor In Chief - IGWorld.com

Cypher Ae    100
Ok...no frames....if the review has no images, then you just see "No images for this review" instead of pointless images...fixed up a few reviews and uploaded a nice preview of Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes.

Dalik    122
Alright thats much better!

About the pics, its a good idea just to link them to the products site, save you data, and space.

For just plain HTML its a good site, now what I would do is keep on the reviews, learn PHP or whatever you wanna learn, then change it to a dynamic site. When you do that, you will get a lot of ideas that you can put it, but here is one for you.

Once you start getting a big amount of reviews/previews the menu will grow very large, so what I would do is show the 5 most viewed reviews or 5 latest reviews, then have the rest in a drop down listbox. Or just click to open a section like movies, or PC games, then they can find what they want that way. But good luck to you!