multi window with opengl

Started by
6 comments, last by exa_einstein 20 years, 8 months ago
I have created two windows, but my (simple... i hope) problem is to draw into them. Do we have some function to tell OpenGL to render INTO a particular window? (switch between more wnds) possible send HWND or HDC? how? please help, i have no idea...
When I was younger, I used to solve problems with my AK-47. Times have changed. I must use something much more effective, killing, percise, pernicious, efficient, lethal and operative. C++ is my choice.
Advertisement
As far as I know OpenGL will always render into the window which is in the same thread. Don''t know of any parameters to pass... Never tried what happens if you have two windows in the same thread, but you could just create two threads, give each it''s own window and gl-commands?
How do I set my laser printer on stun?
no, I think that OpenGL library (=dll) is loaded only once for INSTANCE, threads are only using imported funcs.
idea (maybe helpful) what exactly does wglMakeCurrent() and wglCreateContext() and that third wgl_something_()? I never thought about them.
When I was younger, I used to solve problems with my AK-47. Times have changed. I must use something much more effective, killing, percise, pernicious, efficient, lethal and operative. C++ is my choice.
quote:from MSDN The wglMakeCurrent function makes a specified OpenGL rendering context the calling thread''s current rendering context. All subsequent OpenGL calls made by the thread are drawn on the device identified by hdc. You can also use wglMakeCurrent to change the calling thread''s current rendering context so it''s no longer current.

So, if you have two threads, each OpenGL call inside the thread will be made to the opengl rendering context of that thread. The other stuff is for creating a rendering context and binding it to a window.
How do I set my laser printer on stun?
This should help, it renders 4 opengl screens each in an edit control in a dialogbox. Plus this is in Win32 API
What you can basically do with this is create windows within your window, get their DCs and Wiggles then render.

Main Source File
// windowopengl.cpp : Defines the entry point for the application.//#include "stdafx.h"#include "resource.h"#include <gl\glut.h>#include <gl\gl.h>#include <gl\glaux.h>#define MAX_LOADSTRING 100// Global Variables:HINSTANCE hInst;								// current instanceTCHAR szTitle[MAX_LOADSTRING];					// The title bar textTCHAR szWindowClass[MAX_LOADSTRING];			// The title bar textint TheEnd;										// Flag used by thread to end		int xrot;										// rotation// Foward declarations of functions included in this code module:ATOM				MyRegisterClass(HINSTANCE hInstance);BOOL				InitInstance(HINSTANCE, int);LRESULT CALLBACK	WndProc(HWND, UINT, WPARAM, LPARAM);LRESULT CALLBACK	About(HWND, UINT, WPARAM, LPARAM);LRESULT CALLBACK	OpenGL(HWND, UINT, WPARAM, LPARAM);DWORD WINAPI		InitGL(HWND);int					MySetPixelFormat(HDC hdc);void			    RenderScene(int);int APIENTRY WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance,                     HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,                     LPSTR     lpCmdLine,                     int       nCmdShow){ 	// TODO: Place code here.	MSG msg;	HACCEL hAccelTable;	// Initialize global strings	LoadString(hInstance, IDS_APP_TITLE, szTitle, MAX_LOADSTRING);	LoadString(hInstance, IDC_WINDOWOPENGL, szWindowClass, MAX_LOADSTRING);	MyRegisterClass(hInstance);	// Perform application initialization:	if (!InitInstance (hInstance, nCmdShow)) 	{		return FALSE;	}	hAccelTable = LoadAccelerators(hInstance, (LPCTSTR)IDC_WINDOWOPENGL);	// Main message loop:	while (GetMessage(&msg, NULL, 0, 0)) 	{		if (!TranslateAccelerator(msg.hwnd, hAccelTable, &msg)) 		{			TranslateMessage(&msg);			DispatchMessage(&msg);		}	}	return msg.wParam;}////  FUNCTION: MyRegisterClass()////  PURPOSE: Registers the window class.////  COMMENTS:////    This function and its usage is only necessary if you want this code//    to be compatible with Win32 systems prior to the 'RegisterClassEx'//    function that was added to Windows 95. It is important to call this function//    so that the application will get 'well formed' small icons associated//    with it.//ATOM MyRegisterClass(HINSTANCE hInstance){	WNDCLASSEX wcex;	wcex.cbSize = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX); 	wcex.style			= CS_HREDRAW | CS_VREDRAW;	wcex.lpfnWndProc	= (WNDPROC)WndProc;	wcex.cbClsExtra		= 0;	wcex.cbWndExtra		= 0;	wcex.hInstance		= hInstance;	wcex.hIcon			= LoadIcon(hInstance, (LPCTSTR)IDI_WINDOWOPENGL);	wcex.hCursor		= LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_ARROW);	wcex.hbrBackground	= (HBRUSH)(COLOR_WINDOW+1);	wcex.lpszMenuName	= (LPCSTR)IDC_WINDOWOPENGL;	wcex.lpszClassName	= szWindowClass;	wcex.hIconSm		= LoadIcon(wcex.hInstance, (LPCTSTR)IDI_SMALL);	return RegisterClassEx(&wcex);}////   FUNCTION: InitInstance(HANDLE, int)////   PURPOSE: Saves instance handle and creates main window////   COMMENTS:////        In this function, we save the instance handle in a global variable and//        create and display the main program window.//BOOL InitInstance(HINSTANCE hInstance, int nCmdShow){   HWND hWnd;   hInst = hInstance; // Store instance handle in our global variable   hWnd = CreateWindow(szWindowClass, szTitle, WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW,      CW_USEDEFAULT, 0, CW_USEDEFAULT, 0, NULL, NULL, hInstance, NULL);   if (!hWnd)   {      return FALSE;   }   ShowWindow(hWnd, nCmdShow);   UpdateWindow(hWnd);   return TRUE;}////  FUNCTION: WndProc(HWND, unsigned, WORD, LONG)////  PURPOSE:  Processes messages for the main window.////  WM_COMMAND	- process the application menu//  WM_PAINT	- Paint the main window//  WM_DESTROY	- post a quit message and return////LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND hWnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam){	int wmId, wmEvent;	PAINTSTRUCT ps;	HDC hdc;	TCHAR szHello[MAX_LOADSTRING];	LoadString(hInst, IDS_HELLO, szHello, MAX_LOADSTRING);	switch (message) 	{		case WM_COMMAND:			wmId    = LOWORD(wParam); 			wmEvent = HIWORD(wParam); 			// Parse the menu selections:			switch (wmId)			{				case IDM_ABOUT:				   DialogBox(hInst, (LPCTSTR)IDD_ABOUTBOX, hWnd, (DLGPROC)About);				   break;				case IDM_EXIT:				   DestroyWindow(hWnd);				   break;				case IDM_OPENGL:				   DialogBox(hInst, (LPCTSTR)IDD_OPENGL, hWnd, (DLGPROC)OpenGL);				   break;				default:				   return DefWindowProc(hWnd, message, wParam, lParam);			}			break;		case WM_PAINT:			hdc = BeginPaint(hWnd, &ps);			// TODO: Add any drawing code here...			RECT rt;			GetClientRect(hWnd, &rt);			DrawText(hdc, szHello, strlen(szHello), &rt, DT_CENTER);			EndPaint(hWnd, &ps);			break;		case WM_DESTROY:			PostQuitMessage(0);			break;		default:			return DefWindowProc(hWnd, message, wParam, lParam);   }   return 0;}// Mesage handler for about box.LRESULT CALLBACK About(HWND hDlg, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam){	switch (message)	{		case WM_INITDIALOG:				return TRUE;		case WM_COMMAND:			if (LOWORD(wParam) == IDOK || LOWORD(wParam) == IDCANCEL) 			{				EndDialog(hDlg, LOWORD(wParam));				return TRUE;			}			break;	}    return FALSE;}// Mesage handler for OpenGL box.LRESULT CALLBACK OpenGL(HWND hDlg, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam){	static HANDLE hOpenGL;	static DWORD lpThreadId;	switch (message)	{		case WM_INITDIALOG:				return TRUE;		case WM_COMMAND:			if (LOWORD(wParam) == IDOK) 			{				TheEnd=1;				Sleep(500);				EndDialog(hDlg, LOWORD(wParam));				return TRUE;			}			if (LOWORD(wParam) == IDRENDER) 			{				EnableWindow(GetDlgItem(hDlg,IDRENDER),FALSE);				hOpenGL=CreateThread(NULL,NULL,(LPTHREAD_START_ROUTINE)InitGL,hDlg,0,&lpThreadId);			}						break;	}    return FALSE;}// Here, we do the regular initialization of OpenGLDWORD WINAPI InitGL(HWND hDlg){	HDC hDC1,hDC2,hDC3,hDC4;	HWND hEdit1,hEdit2,hEdit3,hEdit4;	HGLRC hglrc1,hglrc2,hglrc3,hglrc4;		// First, let's get the handle to all the window we created in the Dialog	// with the resource editor	hEdit1=GetDlgItem(hDlg,IDC_EDIT1);	hEdit2=GetDlgItem(hDlg,IDC_EDIT2);	hEdit3=GetDlgItem(hDlg,IDC_EDIT3);	hEdit4=GetDlgItem(hDlg,IDC_EDIT4);	// For every window, we get the HDC	hDC1=GetDC(hEdit1);	hDC2=GetDC(hEdit2);	hDC3=GetDC(hEdit3);	hDC4=GetDC(hEdit4);	// OpenGL Initialization	glShadeModel(GL_SMOOTH);						// Enable Smooth Shading	glClearColor(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.5f);					// Black Background	glClearDepth(1.0f);							// Depth Buffer Setup	glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);						// Enables Depth Testing	glDepthFunc(GL_LEQUAL);							// The Type Of Depth Testing To Do	glHint(GL_PERSPECTIVE_CORRECTION_HINT, GL_NICEST);			// Really Nice Perspective Calculations	MySetPixelFormat(hDC1);	MySetPixelFormat(hDC2);	MySetPixelFormat(hDC3);	MySetPixelFormat(hDC4);	hglrc1 = wglCreateContext(hDC1);	hglrc2 = wglCreateContext(hDC2);	hglrc3 = wglCreateContext(hDC3);	hglrc4 = wglCreateContext(hDC4);	//render here	while(TheEnd !=1 )		{			// Select first Window as the rendering context and draw to it			wglMakeCurrent(hDC1, hglrc1);			RenderScene(1);			SwapBuffers(hDC1);			// Select second Window as the rendering context and draw to it			wglMakeCurrent(hDC2, hglrc2);			RenderScene(2);			SwapBuffers(hDC2);					// Select third Window as the rendering context and draw to it			wglMakeCurrent(hDC3, hglrc3);			RenderScene(2);			SwapBuffers(hDC3);			// Select fourth Window as the rendering context and draw to it			wglMakeCurrent(hDC4, hglrc4);			RenderScene(1);			SwapBuffers(hDC4);			// Throttle the loop. If we don't put a sleep here, the thread will use 100% cpu						Sleep(1); 		}	wglMakeCurrent(NULL, NULL); 		// Cleanup	ReleaseDC (hDlg, hDC1) ; 	ReleaseDC (hDlg, hDC2) ; 	ReleaseDC (hDlg, hDC3) ; 	ReleaseDC (hDlg, hDC4) ;		wglDeleteContext(hglrc1); 	wglDeleteContext(hglrc2); 	wglDeleteContext(hglrc3); 	wglDeleteContext(hglrc4); 		return TRUE;}// Set up the pixel formatint MySetPixelFormat(HDC hdc){	PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR pfd = { 	    sizeof(PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR),    // size of this pfd 	    1,                                // version number 	    PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW |              // support window 	    PFD_SUPPORT_OPENGL |              // support OpenGL 	    PFD_DOUBLEBUFFER,                 // double buffered 	    PFD_TYPE_RGBA,                    // RGBA type 	    24,                               // 24-bit color depth 	    0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,                 // color bits ignored 	    0,                                // no alpha buffer 	    0,                                // shift bit ignored 	    0,                                // no accumulation buffer 	    0, 0, 0, 0,                       // accum bits ignored 	    32,                               // 32-bit z-buffer     	    0,                                // no stencil buffer 	    0,                                // no auxiliary buffer 	    PFD_MAIN_PLANE,                   // main layer 	    0,                                // reserved 	    0, 0, 0                           // layer masks ignored 	}; 		int  iPixelFormat;  	// get the device context's best, available pixel format match 	if((iPixelFormat = ChoosePixelFormat(hdc, &pfd)) == 0)	{		MessageBox(NULL, "ChoosePixelFormat Failed", NULL, MB_OK);		return 0;	}	 	// make that match the device context's current pixel format 	if(SetPixelFormat(hdc, iPixelFormat, &pfd) == FALSE)	{		MessageBox(NULL, "SetPixelFormat Failed", NULL, MB_OK);		return 0;	}	return 1;}// This is where we render, in this case, we will draw a simple 3D-Trianglevoid RenderScene(int axis){			glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);			glLoadIdentity();						if(axis==1) glRotatef(xrot,1.0f,0.0f,0.0f);			if(axis==2) glRotatef(xrot,0.0f,1.0f,0.0f);			glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES);			glColor3f(1, 0, 0);						glVertex3f(0, 0.8f, 0);			//top			glColor3f(0, 1, 0);						glVertex3f(-0.5, -0.5, 0.5);	//left			glColor3f(0, 0,1);						glVertex3f(0.5, -0.5, 0.5);		//right			glColor3f(1.0f,0.0f,0.0f);			// Red			glVertex3f( 0.0f, 0.8f, 0.0f);		// Top Of Triangle (Right)			glColor3f(0.0f,0.0f,1.0f);			// Blue			glVertex3f( .5f,-.5f, .5f);			// Left Of Triangle (Right)			glColor3f(0.0f,0.5f,0.0f);			// Green			glVertex3f( 0.5f,-0.5f, -0.5f);		// Right Of Triangle (Right)			glColor3f(1.0f,0.0f,0.0f);			// Red			glVertex3f( 0.0f, 0.8f, 0.0f);		// Top Of Triangle (Back)			glColor3f(0.0f,1.0f,0.0f);			// Green			glVertex3f( 0.5f,-0.5f, -0.5f);		// Left Of Triangle (Back)			glColor3f(0.0f,0.0f,1.0f);			// Blue			glVertex3f(-0.5f,-0.5f, -0.5f);		// Right Of Triangle (Back)			glColor3f(1.0f,0.0f,0.0f);			// Red			glVertex3f( 0.0f, 0.8f, 0.0f);		// Top Of Triangle (Left)			glColor3f(0.0f,0.0f,1.0f);			// Blue			glVertex3f(-0.5f,-0.5f,-0.5f);		// Left Of Triangle (Left)			glColor3f(0.0f,1.0f,0.0f);			// Green			glVertex3f(-0.5f,-0.5f, 0.5f);		// Right Of Triangle (Left)			glEnd();				xrot+=1.5f;}

Resource ID file
//{{NO_DEPENDENCIES}}// Microsoft Developer Studio generated include file.// Used by windowopengl.rc//#define IDC_MYICON                      2#define IDD_WINDOWOPENGL_DIALOG         102#define IDD_ABOUTBOX                    103#define IDS_APP_TITLE                   103#define IDM_ABOUT                       104#define IDM_EXIT                        105#define IDS_HELLO                       106#define IDI_WINDOWOPENGL                107#define IDI_SMALL                       108#define IDC_WINDOWOPENGL                109#define IDR_MAINFRAME                   128#define IDD_OPENGL                      129#define IDC_EDIT1                       1000#define IDRENDER                        1001#define IDC_EDIT2                       1002#define IDC_EDIT3                       1003#define IDC_EDIT4                       1004#define IDM_OPENGL                      32771#define IDC_STATIC                      -1// Next default values for new objects// #ifdef APSTUDIO_INVOKED#ifndef APSTUDIO_READONLY_SYMBOLS#define _APS_NEXT_RESOURCE_VALUE        130#define _APS_NEXT_COMMAND_VALUE         32772#define _APS_NEXT_CONTROL_VALUE         1002#define _APS_NEXT_SYMED_VALUE           110#endif#endif

Resource File
//Microsoft Developer Studio generated resource script.//#include "resource.h"#define APSTUDIO_READONLY_SYMBOLS///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Generated from the TEXTINCLUDE 2 resource.//#define APSTUDIO_HIDDEN_SYMBOLS#include "windows.h"#undef APSTUDIO_HIDDEN_SYMBOLS#include "resource.h"/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////#undef APSTUDIO_READONLY_SYMBOLS/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// English (U.S.) resources#if !defined(AFX_RESOURCE_DLL) || defined(AFX_TARG_ENU)#ifdef _WIN32LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US#pragma code_page(1252)#endif //_WIN32///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Icon//// Icon with lowest ID value placed first to ensure application icon// remains consistent on all systems.IDI_WINDOWOPENGL        ICON    DISCARDABLE     "windowopengl.ICO"IDI_SMALL               ICON    DISCARDABLE     "SMALL.ICO"///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Menu//IDC_WINDOWOPENGL MENU DISCARDABLE BEGIN    POPUP "&File"    BEGIN        MENUITEM "E&xit",                       IDM_EXIT    END    MENUITEM "&OpenGL",                     IDM_OPENGL    POPUP "&Help"    BEGIN        MENUITEM "&About ...",                  IDM_ABOUT    ENDEND///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Accelerator//IDC_WINDOWOPENGL ACCELERATORS MOVEABLE PURE BEGIN    "?",            IDM_ABOUT,              ASCII,  ALT    "/",            IDM_ABOUT,              ASCII,  ALTEND///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Dialog//IDD_ABOUTBOX DIALOG DISCARDABLE  22, 17, 230, 75STYLE DS_MODALFRAME | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENUCAPTION "About"FONT 8, "System"BEGIN    ICON            IDI_WINDOWOPENGL,IDC_MYICON,14,9,16,16    LTEXT           "windowopengl Version 1.0",IDC_STATIC,49,10,119,8,                    SS_NOPREFIX    LTEXT           "Copyright (C) 2001",IDC_STATIC,49,20,119,8    DEFPUSHBUTTON   "OK",IDOK,195,6,30,11,WS_GROUPENDIDD_OPENGL DIALOG DISCARDABLE  0, 0, 304, 170STYLE DS_MODALFRAME | WS_POPUP | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENUCAPTION "Window OpenGL example by Chong Hin Ooi, chongooi@mediaone.net"FONT 8, "MS Sans Serif"BEGIN    DEFPUSHBUTTON   "Render",IDRENDER,190,149,50,14    PUSHBUTTON      "OK",IDOK,247,149,50,14    EDITTEXT        IDC_EDIT1,7,7,138,58,ES_AUTOHSCROLL    EDITTEXT        IDC_EDIT2,159,7,138,58,ES_AUTOHSCROLL    EDITTEXT        IDC_EDIT3,7,78,138,58,ES_AUTOHSCROLL    EDITTEXT        IDC_EDIT4,159,78,138,58,ES_AUTOHSCROLLEND#ifdef APSTUDIO_INVOKED///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// TEXTINCLUDE//2 TEXTINCLUDE DISCARDABLE BEGIN    "#define APSTUDIO_HIDDEN_SYMBOLS\r\n"    "#include ""windows.h""\r\n"    "#undef APSTUDIO_HIDDEN_SYMBOLS\r\n"    "#include ""resource.h""\r\n"    "\0"END3 TEXTINCLUDE DISCARDABLE BEGIN    "\r\n"    "\0"END1 TEXTINCLUDE DISCARDABLE BEGIN    "resource.h\0"END#endif    // APSTUDIO_INVOKED///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// DESIGNINFO//#ifdef APSTUDIO_INVOKEDGUIDELINES DESIGNINFO DISCARDABLE BEGIN    IDD_OPENGL, DIALOG    BEGIN        LEFTMARGIN, 7        RIGHTMARGIN, 297        TOPMARGIN, 7        BOTTOMMARGIN, 163    ENDEND#endif    // APSTUDIO_INVOKED///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// String Table//STRINGTABLE DISCARDABLE BEGIN    IDS_APP_TITLE           "windowopengl"    IDS_HELLO               "Window OpenGL example by Chong Hin Ooi"    IDC_WINDOWOPENGL        "WINDOWOPENGL"END#endif    // English (U.S.) resources/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////#ifndef APSTUDIO_INVOKED///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Generated from the TEXTINCLUDE 3 resource.///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////#endif    // not APSTUDIO_INVOKED

Hope that helps.
[edit] Misspelled a tag.

[edited by - Xiachunyi on August 11, 2003 11:59:02 AM]
Like the above poster''s example shows... Just create a new OpenGL context for each window and then use wglMakeCurrent and then swap the buffers and then repeat for each window.
Jesus Freak,Jesus Loves you. He is the Alpha and Omega the Beginning and the End.
yeah, now works (it will work in LPS (=limited-planes system) mapeditor, i''ll release it soon). thank you all

(somebody please close this thread...) bye
the above two are right. my last renderer used 9 windows (VCL)

OpenGL renders in the selected context in the current thread.

If you have two windows and only need to rendere in one of them at a time, create a context for both and then use wglmakecurrent to select which you wish to render in.

if you want to have both windows being rendered into at the same time, you can either swap the current context between the two (a bit dodgey, but hey, it works) or you can do it the better way and create a two threads. In each thread you have a seperate opengl thread that renders to one of the windows.

Either way, under win32 OpenGL always renders into the THREADS current device context.

I have no idea about macos or os2 or solaris or linux or dos though. I never played with opengl that much under them.
Beer - the love catalystgood ol' homepage

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement