DirectDraw dead?

Started by
41 comments, last by Lineage 19 years, 12 months ago
DirectDraw IS dead. The only reason you''d want to do it is if you were designing a game for people who have REALLY old hardware, or if you want a stepping stone (equivilant to learning QBASIC).

This does NOT mean 2d games are obsolete. I''ve made a couple 2d games and I''m in the process of making a powerful 2d engine as a class project. However, I use Direct3d for all my 2d projects (Gamasutra has a great tutorial called 2d in Direct3d to get you started). Doing 2d in d3d is no more difficult than DDraw (I''ve done both), and its way more powerful. Learn 2d in direct3d, DDraw is obsolete and sucks anyway.
Advertisement
If you''re new to game programming, then keep learning DirectDraw. 3D methods of 2D graphics is hard to learn. And Lamothe''s book, which is based on directdraw, is an excellent way to learn game programming anyway.

It''s easier and it''ll fulfill all of your 2D game programming needs.
DirectDraw it not dead. If it still exist, its not dead. You can use it if you need to. Going 3D for a simple 2d game or program is over-kill unless you''ve done 3D before and you''re used to it. There are hundreds of tools available (DD and D3D, and ect). Use the one that fits your application. I could use a wrench as a hammer, couldn''t I? And I could always cut a tree with a hammer......but why when theres a saw near by????

Later Baters,

Denny.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement