Character traits in CRPGs

Started by
10 comments, last by DrZuckerbrot 20 years, 8 months ago
well my game has permanent character in the design and your relation progress thru times, i have around 20 character then it has to be more complexe and complete than other''s (it''s for story generation, you set each character and let them interact, their role are define by how well you design your character''s stat)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
be good
be evil
but do it WELL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>be goodbe evilbut do it WELL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Advertisement
Here''s a site that delves only into paper and pen roleplaying games....but I highly highly recommend it, and indeed, I''ll put a post up about this website just because I think it''s that important.

As for games that involve the actual usage of personality traits, I don''t know of any CRPG''s that do so (since I play so few), but I can name a few paper and pen RPG''s for ya.

The Riddle of Steel: A new game which stresses something called Spiritual Attributes. They help the player "get into character" and more importantly define the character''s purpose and motivation in life. Perhaps uniquely to RPG''s, these Spiritual Attributes aren''t just there for dramatic roleplaying, but actually provide in-game benefits if the player uses them in the proper context.

Pendragon: An oldie, but a goodie. This game had things called Passions and Personality Traits which were diametrically opposed traits (such as bravery and cowardice) that defined how the character behaves. While I don''t recall them providing in game bonuses, the experience gained was dependant on how well you played the virtues, and also sometimes the GM could manually force players to behave in character if they did something which went against a passion or virtue (for example, if a Character had a high Honor virtue yet he wanted to kill an unarmed foe, the GM could override this action and only allow the player to commit the action if he rolled against his trait).

The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount." - General Omar Bradley

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement