why would a loop go past its max?

Started by
3 comments, last by chbfiv 20 years, 8 months ago

printf("Srtlen=%d\n",strlen(string)+1);

for(int i=0;i <=strlen(string)+1;i++) {
     printf("char_%d=%c\n",i,string[i]);
}
why would i ever be larger then the strlen+1? output of this while looping through strings in a file(fgets), only one line does this. Strlen=213 and it prints out char''s up to 220=( why the heck did it even get to 214?
-BourkeIV
Advertisement
First, try like this:

long stringsize = strlen(string)+1;printf("Len = %d", stringsize );for( int i = 0; i <= stringsize; ++i ) {      printf("\nchar %d = %c", i, string[i] );}

If this still doesn''t work, well...

ToohrVyk

(dang, someone was a little bit faster, but took less effort too )

Hint: Make it more readable next time...

printf ( "Srtlen=%d\n", strlen ( string ) + 1 );for (int i = 0; i <= strlen ( string ) + 1; i++ ){    printf ( "char_%d=%c\n", i, string [i] );} 

For one, calling strlen every cycle of the loop is plain stupid - if the string is constant, make it like this:

For two, why would you want to use strlen + 1???

size_t stringlength;stringlength = strlen ( string );printf ( "Srtlen=%d\n", stringlength );for ( int i = 0; i < stringlength; i++ ){    printf ( "char_%d=%c\n", i, string [i] );}

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my piece of code will print out the entire string on the screen in the way you planned it.

Edit by Siaon: Changed the code tags to source tags.

Another edit: Damned forum changes what I type in?? :/

[edited by - Siaon on August 11, 2003 2:07:17 PM]

[edited by - Siaon on August 11, 2003 2:08:30 PM]

[edited by - Siaon on August 11, 2003 2:09:22 PM]
---Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift and that's why it's called the present.
quote:Original post by chbfiv

why the heck did it even get to 214?

Because you''re accessing two bytes past the end of the array. One by using <= instead of < and another with the +1 you artificially stuck in there.

As for why it gets to 220, it shouldn''t, given the code you showed us.
quote:Original post by foofightr
Because you''re accessing two bytes past the end of the array. One by using <= instead of < and another with the +1 you artificially stuck in there.

strlen(myString) returns the length of myString excluding the terminating nul. strlen(myString)+1 returns the length of myString including the terminating nul.

quote:
As for why it gets to 220, it shouldn''t, given the code you showed us.

For a slightly unreasonable answer, and assuming you''ve allocated exactly 213 char''s, then you''ve got some undefined behavior by dereferencing the 214th char. Technically, this means anything can happen, but I wouldn''t guess that''s the problem.

Another, similar, answer is that perhaps sizeof(int) != sizeof(size_t) on your platform. strlen() returns size_t, printf is variadic, variadic functions have typesafety issues. What does this mean? That you should never lie to a variadic function about what you''re passing and always cast to the type you told the function to expect (i.e. don''t pass a int* when it''s expecting void*, etc.). Why does this matter? printf only read sizeof(int) bytes out of sizeof(size_t) bytes that you passed, which could mean that you have something other than 213 char''s in your string.

Other than that, I''m not sure.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement