Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moquan

Screen shot

Not sure if this is where this should be posted or not, but here''s my problem. I''m working with Direct-X and I''m using id3dxsprite for my sprite engine (2-D Game). Well, when I take a screen shot using print screen, there are some sprites missing at times.. What could cause this and what might I do to fix it? Thank you. -Moquan

I am not sure, but maybe this is because of double buffering, maybe the best you can do is make your own function to take screenshots.

Read this Generating a Screenshot in DirectX 8.1

Hope this help.

---------------------------------------------
If God with me, Who against me?
Sitio de desarrollo de videojuegos en español
Digital Moon Studio...

There is no spoon

I''m not sure that I follow. I want my program to work right on everyone''s computer. SO if I just set my VSYNC to true... won''t that not effect theirs? Did you mean in my program set the VSYNC? If that''s the case, I don''t want to limit my frame rate. Is there no work around?

- Moquan

Guest Anonymous Poster
I don''t have the code handy, but I implemented something similar to the article, but with the BACK buffer. That should help, and I think it might be better than accessing the front buffer.

Guest Anonymous Poster
What does taking a screen shot have to do with game play on other computers? If you need a good screen shot you have to turn on v-sync; end of story.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
What does taking a screen shot have to do with game play on other computers? If you need a good screen shot you have to turn on v-sync; end of story.

Lies! There are lots of ways to do it without any such settings. Render the shot to another render target, get the back buffer, etc.

v-sync = good thing

The monitor won''t update faster than it''s refresh rate, so any extra frames are not visible. Turning on v-sync eliminates tearing and your users will thank you very much for having it on instead of keeping it off with no way to turn it on.

a couple other methods to try:

you can check out this page http://www.geocities.com/foetsch/d3d8screenshot/d3d8screenshot.htm for an easy implementation of taking screenshots which only requires DirectX 8.0.

or... scroll down this thread http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=102697 to find a similar method as link in the first reply to this thread but capturing the back buffer rather than the front buffer.

both methods work well for me.

[edited by - Pen15 on August 13, 2003 1:54:03 AM]

VSync = Bad thing
It causes large jumps in framerate which is instant death in any action based game. If your system fails to render at your monitor''s refresh rate, it has to drop down half way between the current refresh rate. So if you your monitor is at 85 hz and you can''t push 85 fps, it''ll drop down to 42, then 21, and so on. Its not a pretty sight.