Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thrump

Up, At, Right

Thrump    169
Are there any major advantages to Quaternions, vs. an Up, At, Right Matrix? Seeing as the vectors are normalized, you could store 2 components of 2 vectors and figure out all the other components, so they can be stored fairly compactly. Interpolations seem to be fine, as long as you renormalize the interpolated vector. Gimbal lock is not a problem as far as I can tell. I''m new quaternions, and just need a brief (you''re wrong/you''re right) to see if I''m thinking about it the right way.

johnb    351
Gimbal lock is only a problem with Euler angles, not matrices or quaternions.

You could just store four elements of the matrix and use the fact that the rows and columns are unit vectors to recreate the full matrix. But this will be quite expensive to do, and any errors will accumulate in the elements of the matrix you calculate, in particular in the matrix element opposite the four elements you store.

As for interpolations, quaternion interpolation is an order of magnitude more efficient than matrix interpolation. If you don''t need to intepolate rotations you should be OK, but as soon as you want to interpolate rotations you''ll want to be using quaternions.