Fast Action in 2D

Started by
5 comments, last by Zido 20 years, 8 months ago
I am creating an adventure/action/horror fast paced side scroller and I will like to know what elements that will help create the fast-paced action like in Mega Man X.
If you are reading this, then you are too attached to signatures!!
Advertisement
A large number of easy to kill ememies, as opposed to a few difficult to kill enemies. Beacuse they die with one or two shots you can kill them while running towards them and keep on moving. The challenge is that new ones keep on comming all the time.

If enemies take several shots to kill the player has to stop in order to make the necessary shots and then start again once the enemy is dead. This stop/start style destroys the feeling of a fast paced game.

Slightly exagerated jumps. Make the hero able to leap enemies to get behind them/avoid their shots. Contra/Gryzor is a good example of both the above features.

Time generated enemies (as well as map position generated ones) is another good idea. If the player stops moving forward in order to catch their breath, spawn enemies in front and behind that come onto the screen. Again Contra/Gryzor does this well.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Game Development & Design consultant
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
And don't forget to actually let the player catch his breath for a few seconds now and then

And then spam even more enemies on the screen.

--edit--

Remeber -> forget

[edited by - Leffe on August 12, 2003 12:47:38 PM]
Expansive environments are nice. Don''t forget to usually make it possible for the player to backtrack (which, like the MMX games, lets you hide goodies for players thorough enough to come back). Give the player better weapons and gear as the game progresses (MMX''s boss weapons and uprades). Maybe even make something players can collect for extra bonuses (MMX6''s reploids fit this).
http://edropple.com
...and do not forget the ocasional "don''t look back!" sequence, where the player must run through tons of enemies and obstacles while running from the impending death, like a giant bulldozer, a moving wall, lava, acid, whatever.
...or a Metroid style count-down to ultimate destruction, including lots of flashing lights and a PA voice saying something sufficiently sci-fi over and over again.

______________________________________________________________________________________The Phoenix shall arise from the ashes... ThunderHawk -- ¦þ"So. Any n00bs need some pointers? I have a std::vector<n00b*> right here..." - ZahlmanMySite | Forum FAQ | File Formats______________________________________________________________________________________
Nice, I say. I think all those elements will work, especially the one where enemies just pop up ot of no where. It is a horror game anyway. Also, should performing special attacks be quick or penalty the player by using precious time to use this attack? This is questionable seeing that the player may want to use a very strong attack in a split second and go on, but this a very hard dillema. Player`s interest or challenge the player in executing attacks in time just to get some recovery time?
If you are reading this, then you are too attached to signatures!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement