Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johnnyBravo

Mesh animation...How skeletal animation setup?

johnnyBravo    100
Hey I want to start using skeletal animation, where i say move bone joint here, there etc, and with the rest of the leg following it. What i''m wondering is, is the skeleton made in the 3D modal program or is it made within directx where you just just put the body pieces onto the skeleton?

RenderTarget    398
It''s almost always made in the 3d modeller. Skeletal animation isn''t just "this piece of mesh goes with this bone." There''s blending weights and creasing and all such to worry about.

Direct3D (specifically, D3DX) has methods of loading skinned mesh and animation information from X files, which can be written by MAX and Maya.

I like pie.

Raloth    379
You can do either way, although doing it with a 3d modeling program will be much better for artists. This also allows skinning, where a vertex may be influenced by more than one bone to give a more realistic effect. If you are just starting you might want to do it manually. There isn't a lot of material covering the functions you need to load a skinned mesh.

[edited by - Raloth on August 11, 2003 9:37:15 PM]

Wavewash    202
RenderTarget: You worry about creasing when you''re making your model in the modeller right? Not when you''re coding it? I''m sorry, just making sure.

~Wave

RenderTarget    398
quote:
Original post by Wavewash
RenderTarget: You worry about creasing when you''re making your model in the modeller right? Not when you''re coding it? I''m sorry, just making sure.

~Wave

Well, when I say ''creasing'' I just mean making sure vertices at the joints don''t bunch up or overlap. It''s just more skin weight tweaking. I didn''t mean creasing in the context of higher-order surfaces. But yes, it''s all to make things look right, and each mesh is different, so it''s an art tool thing.

I like pie.