• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rajivtm

[java] How do I use DirectX with Java?

This topic is 5523 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know where I can find the libraries required for programming with DirectX in Java or a site with instructions on using it? Thanks for any help you can give me, Rajiv

Advertisement
A long time ago, i''ve seen such a library, from microsoft i believe. it''s ages ago. If i remember right, it was called JdirectX, but there was no hit on google, so i suppose it has been abandonned/removed.
There are maybe 2 ways to get it:
-Taking an "amateur" binding to directX, which has no guarantee and usually have developpement lacks.
-Maybe tricking around could make the j# libs for managed DX usable, i''ve no idea, it''s maybe impossible, i don''t know, it''s just an idea.
Else than that, i don''t know how it could be done (exept making your own binding, but that''s too much work).

Otherwise, there are many good alternatives of any kind:
For the quick and easy, there is javanerd''s api
For the officialy used, look at the java media api
For the low-level access fan, there is a SDL port (still under developpement...)

Or you could just try:

import ddraw.h;
import dsound.h;
import dinput.h;

Make sure the .h files are in your classpath of course.

heh, I hope that was a joke

rajivtm, what are your needs with java and directx? You may find a java opengl solution to work, such as LWJGL or JOGL.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!