Need help, total begginer to game programming.

Started by
25 comments, last by powerblazer 20 years, 7 months ago
Okay, I need huge help, I''m a 12 year old that knows c++ pretty well, I know it about up to liniked lists, I still have to finish learning about it, oh and just to say, I go by cprogramming.com''s tutorials, and CodeWarriorU, well anyway, I''ve decided to jump into the dangerous to the head world of game programming, and have decided to do a small project, which will also help me with school. Its like killing 2 birds with one stone, in school I have too make a game concerning math, about what I have learned in it, and I get to learn how to make a PC game. Well, I decided to make a 2d or 3d computer game for the project and need help on where too start. I have a friend helping me on this who is about 13 and is in Pointers in C++, so my question is, where do I start? I mean I have no idea at all where too start, do I learn about DirectDraw, or can I use Nehe''s OpenGl tutorials or something. Can anyone help me? I would prefer to make a 3d game, through. (Aye, I did a lotta yappin didn''t I?)
Advertisement
It doesn''t matter what API you use for graphics (well, directdraw doesn''t support 3D graphics). You could choose between OpenGL, Direct3D, or use something else (which I don''t reccomend). But don''t expect to get it done in less than 6 months if you''ve never done anything graphical before.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Here are some links that will help you a lot.
Game Tutorials
Planet Source Code
Games++
Guess
Google Search
NeHe

Just search for "Game Programming", "OpenGL Tutorials", "DirectX Tutorials", etc. You should find what you're looking for. Good luck.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

[edited by - UltimaX on August 11, 2003 11:20:48 PM]
Okay, anything that would take me less then 6 monthes, how about 2d stuff, how lond would that take me, or how about something like math pong, or math tetris?
Math Pong and Math Tetris? Probably doable in less than 6 months, but it depends. In order to learn a graphics API (3D APIs are usually the best choice now, even for 2D games) it will take quite a bit of time, and it will take quite a long time to get it polished. If you really put your mind to it though, you could probably do it.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
I don''t know how you''d incorperate math into pong, the real math would be in the programming though, not sure if that applies at all. You could use SDL (www.libsdl.org).
I''ve decided to make pong using DJGPP/RHIDE, and Allegro, since their already is a tutorial on how to make a pong game I''ll learn from that and create a new one my self.
powerblazer,

DJGPP does not compile correctly with WindowsXP. Many people have problems, since WinXP doesn''t support DOS very well anymore. If you are using XP, I would suggest getting DevC++ with it''s MinGW Compiler.

Using ALLEGRO is a good idea, it''s a wonderful 2d API and easy to learn.
WyrmSlayer RPG - In Early Development
THANKS TO ALL THAT REPLIED! Kay, I''ve decided to use the Allegro library for the graphics, and may use MSVC or DJGPP if the so called Windows XP versions work, so I''ll reply soon!
Okay, OpenGL has a problem on my computer, no matter how much I uninstall and reinstall the files. I want to make a simple pong game and I''ve found a great easy to use graphics library named Graphics Magician, at www.graphicsmagician.com. Its one of the easiest to learn and too use, but its too weak for a full scale pong game, I think. Anyways, can anyone suggest an easy to use graphics library that has enough power for a simple pong game? And Allegro has problems with my computer too, even if I link all the Allegro files to my project, so can anyone help me. Please help me find a good graphics library, I don''t care if its a 3d or 2d API.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement