Fishing game.

Started by
12 comments, last by ACAC 20 years, 8 months ago
Ive been thinking up a new game idea. Ive only just come up with the idea and im looking for advice,tips,ideas from any of you. The game is set out like an MMORPG. But your obviously a fisherman . You choose a name..and some stats? ( not sure what yet ) and set out fishing around the world. Youve gotta catch fish..then take them back and sell them to the shops around the world. Almost setting up your own fishing buiness. - Ideas - Online scoreboards..most fish..biggest fish etc.. Breeding of new fish ( i like this idea ) Opening of own fishing shops?? ( not sure ) Can purchase new boats,rods,flys,aromas etc etc YOu can only use certain boats when you have a certain experience...hence you can travel further with a greater fuel capacity and get better more exotic fish..the same idea with the fishing rods. Ofcourse the game would follow a fishing style..so you would have to strike when you had a fish on..line tension..certain pound wires for bigger fish. Getting caught in weeds. Or is this too complicated and not fun? Any ideas anyone or does this idea just plain suck. Be honest .
Advertisement
That just plain sucks. Sorry.

I think theres a relatively small percentage of people who like fishing enough to play a game about it. And anyone who likes fishing that much would probably rather go fish than play your game.

But maybe im just biased because i think fishing is really stupid.

If I remember correctly those Deer Hunter games were somewhat popular. I don''t think it''s a bad idea at all.
The two genre''s don''t mix. MMORPG + being an individual fisherman? You can''t be a single fisherman like on the hunting channel and "fish around the world" and get like 4 fish and then sell them to a market. You''d have to own a fleet of fishing boats and make huge hauls with nets, like tuna fishing. That''d be so unfun...."wow, choose your own crew of salty sea dogs to comb the seas for large hauls of fishes!! Pit man against nature as your 20 foot crane sweeps the ocean bottom! But beware of dolphin infested waters, or else the coast guard will be reeling YOU in!!"

The idea itself is not sound and the player base far too small. Sorry =]
lmfao,

.zfod
Actualy, it may be a decent to good idea, i would cut the whole shops part though. Your aiming more towards a single player game with a multiplayer scoreboard though, or even multi-player, but not MM. Seeing as the people that play MMORPG's are really not to into fishing like games(as a standard, IMHO), why not ditch that part of it. You need to rethink WHY you would want it to be multiplayer? What would be the point? You could offer forums and stuff, but if there is no use for the fish, how would there be use for selling them? (other then to build money, but p2p selling would be kinda dumb) So cut the MMORPG, you will get a larger fanbase, provide an online scoreboard (as an option) and optional multiplayer cometitions, even tourneys. You may wish to go with an on-line bank of sorts, that people log into to schedual things, and upgrade stuff for a person that competes online. Just a thought or two....

EDIT: oh, and please people, this is not a bad idea just because its not your genre of choice.

[edited by - paulcesar on August 12, 2003 12:22:16 PM]
It doesnt matter if its a ''good'' idea or a ''bad'' idea. If its a project you want to work on, then work on it. Thats the whole idea, isn''t it?
I don''t know, maybe if you went along the lines of Moby Dick, it would be worthwhile. You could start out in the lower levels, fishing in fresh water, and then move to the sea if you want to fish for the real game. Make it hard by having poachers, pirates, disgruntled compedetors, and Jaws-like sharks in the sea. Maybe you could have a giant octopus. You could call it the Fisher''s Odyssey.

On a side note, you could make the whole theme at the sea during a more wooden ship age, and you could have classes in the Navy (from a good and bad kindom), the Pirates (good and bad if you wish), and of course, the SeaHunter (fisherman). Maybe you could also be a Sea-Summoner and summon forth the monsters that the SeaHunter would fight. I can see potential.
Now I shall systematicly disimboule you with a .... Click here for Project Anime
But think of the quotes!

"Quit camping the spawn, l4m3r!"

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
ACAC, You''ve got an idea, and that''s what you need to get started. My suggestion is that you DO something with it. Start working on the game and see how you feel about it. Most wonderful inventions seem rather odd to others at first, and game concepts are no exception.

GOOD LUCK!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement