• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gandalf

Lightmapping

This topic is 6489 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How can I use one single lightmap to illuminate one single wall? the wall consist of say 10 polygons and every polygon have its own (but same) lightmap, it will look ugly and that is obviously not the way to do it. Maybe one single ligtmap should be mapped on all 10 polygons? It can´t work to illuminate moving objects. Gandalf the White

Advertisement
I was thinking of the same roblem for my engine, here''s my solution (I have not yet implemented it, it''s just theory!)
For the big wall out of many smaller polygons you can either use one big lightmap (I think that''s it you want), or many small (of course you wouldn''t use the same all over again, it''d be the big one split into many small ones). It depends on how you calculate the lightmap. if u use the big one, you''ll have to play around with the Texturecoordinates, giving all the same lightmap with just different tex-coords (I don''t know if that''s possible). The moving object: you *could* simulate lighting on moving objects this way: if it''s an object moving only a small ammount (like a door), simply make the lightmap of the door stay at the same position all the time. This should look ok for the door. Now if there''s a lightsource behind the door, you wil propably want to alter the lightmap of the floor, so move the lightmap of the floor with the door, this *should* make a quiet good result. But as I said, just theory and untested. Hope it helps,, NoNseNse

I was wondering about the same thing.

I want to write a QuakeII bsp file loader/renderer for D3D 7 which uses the light maps the level editor already created.

This way the static lighting is handled by the editor. I think it just creates light map textures any way it can to minimize total number of them so that multiple wall tris use the same light map but just have different uv coordinates.

I''d be happy to get the loader working and have the static light maps then you could concentrate on dynamic later.

I think it would be a layered approach. Dynamic lighting on top of static lighting instead of dynamically recalculating the static light maps.

MCSE, MCSD, Sun Certified Java Programmer
Pimp Daddy ;)

"Use one lightmap for several polys"-Yes that´s possible q3 does it this way and about dynamic lighting,q3 changes the lightmaps(not the original lightmap - another one is blended on top of the existing one....)

HTH,XBTC!

Does someone know how to calculate lightmap''s U&V texture coordinates for a simple model (the inner of a cube, for example!)??

Thanx all!

.XtC.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!