• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Windows NT and DirectX

This topic is 6445 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My DirectX program dosn´t work on NT? Why? It complaines about DirectDraw. Gandalf the White Gandalf the White

Advertisement
Common. Post some errors/ error messages.

Just a wild guess. Win NT may not like DX versions above 3. But if you want anything concrete, post some error messages

========================================================
If something sounds stupid but works, it's not stupid

WinNT 4 I assume?

Which service pack is installed? (My guess is SP3)

SP3 or SP4 has Dx5 built in (I remember playing StarCraft with one of those)
SP5 has Dx7 built in (I''m pretty sure)
Sp6 ?

You can''t install the Dx runtimes for 9x in NT
You must install one of the SP''s - don''t even try to install the Dx runtimes in NT; in the off-chance it lets you, you''ll be sorry

The Problem is that that NT 4 only has the newest Versions of DirectPlay and Direct Input. DirectDraw and Direct3D are only Directx 3 Compatible. Only NT5 (Windows 2000) supports the complete Directx 7 Package.

Lars

NT 4 has DX 3 with service pack 4. As mentioned above, you can upgrade DirectPlay and DirectInput seperately, but that''s all. MS decided that NT is a business OS and that DirectX 3 support should be fine. The NT kernel isn''t designed for the kind of direct access that DirectX 5+ needs. Even with SP4, DirectDraw is emulated.

Windows 2000 comes with DirectX 7 out of the box, with full support. We''ll have to wait and see how/if MS will let us go to DirectX 8. Hopefully, we''ll just need to download the runtime files like we do for Windows 9X.

BlueNexus

Ah I was off by one,

SP4 -> Dx3
Sp5 -> Dx5 (This is when I played StarCraft)

Dx7 on windows2000 works quite well

Does that mean no Dx7 support is planned for NT4?

DX7 works with Win2000? Is this serious, or just my imagination? What about all the people who say win2000 is crap for games?

J2xC (J. Connolly)

"Then study this: Borg provokes Klingon, Klingon breaks Borg's nose" Belanna Torres, Star Trek Voyager 5.11 "Someone to watch over me"

From my contacts (and searching in headers) WinNT supports up to DirectDraw version 5, DirectPlay 6.1a, and everything else is version 3.

Win2000 does support (and in fact comes with) DX7. The reason people say it doesn''t work well for games is that some games try to detect Win95 and Win98 to avoid people trying to install on an NT4 box. There is, in fact, a utility on the Win2000 disc that allows you to mimic other MS OS''s (95, 98, NT) to install or run certain programs. I have actually used this to install and play Thief II which wouldn''t install without it. I highly recommend upgrading to 2000 if you are running 9X (especially programming on it) since it is soooo much more stable.

Umm... it would be nice if you told us the name of the utility?

J2xC (J. Connolly)

"Then study this: Borg provokes Klingon, Klingon breaks Borg's nose" Belanna Torres, Star Trek Voyager 5.11 "Someone to watch over me"

WinNT 4 SP3 brings DirectX 3. That''s it.

There was a version of DX5 that someone made work on NT4, despite MS'' protestations that it was impossible.

Microsoft claimed that the version of DirectX 3 in NT supported most of DirectX 5, but I can''t understand how that can be, given that you have to use DX 3 interfaces.

TheTwistedOne
http://www.angrycake.com

J2xC :
Dx7 works perfectly under Win2000. At least for me and the people I know. In fact I''ve found it better than win98. Why?

Under Win98, when I do some D3D stuff, my PC crashes after a minute or less (probably due to the crappy ATI drivers). Under Win2k, smooth sailing

Win2k does work wonders for some people. Other might have a different story to tell, though...

• Advertisement