Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Endemoniada

Thread or Message Pump ?

Hi guys, I''m almost done with my arcade game and so far I''ve been using the Windows message loop to call my game heartbeat function. I have a tight optimized loop and it works well but not great. When a program is running in the background (like Media Player) I sometimes get jerky movement (I base the movement on the elapsed time of the frame) and it even hangs occasionally when no programs are running, after a fresh reset. Should I start a seperate thread to run the game ? How do the professional games do it ? Also, I''m using DirectInput for the mouse but handle WM_ONKEYDOWN messages for the keyboard, I''m going to switch to DirectInput for the keyboard also so I don''t need the Windows message pump for anything. I''m using the DirectX 9.0a SDK with VC++. I''m sorry if this has already been discussed. Thanks.

There is no reason for starting another thread. It''s weird how so many people think of threads as a magic cure-all.

You must keep the windows loop because it handles important messages behind the scenes. Don''t use WM_TIMER. Some people say "don''t use WM_PAINT", but I haven''t seen a difference.

"Professional" games vary in implementation but here is one way.

/// This function waits for messages and dispatches them. It does not return until a WM_QUIT message is received. If

/// an idle function is supplied, the idle function is called rather than waiting for a message when there are none

/// to be processed.

///

/// @param hWnd Window handle

/// @param pCB The address of the idle function to be called when there are no messages to process, or 0.

int MessageLoop( HWND hWnd, MessageLoopIdleCallback pCB/* = 0*/ )
{
bool skipIdle = false;

while ( true )
{
MSG msg;

// If there is no idle function, or the idle function no longer needs to be called, or there is a message

// waiting, get (or wait for) the next message and process it. Otherwise, call the idle function.

if ( pCB == 0 || skipIdle || PeekMessage( &msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_NOREMOVE ) )
{
if ( GetMessage( &msg, NULL, 0, 0 ) )
{
TranslateMessage( &msg );
DispatchMessage( &msg );
}
else
{
return msg.wParam;
}

skipIdle = false; // Allow the idle function to be called again.

}
else
{
// Call the idle function. If it returns false, it no longer needs to be called -- set ''skipIdle'' so it

// won''t be called again until after another message is processed.

skipIdle = !pCB( hWnd );
}
}
}