Why no game use .x file format to store models?

Started by
3 comments, last by kim-ryo 20 years, 8 months ago
I wonder the reason,whatever...thanks in advance. ___________________ We create world.
___________________We create world.:)
Advertisement
Ok, sorry about anyone who read my other reply, thought he said storing a game world . Here's the main reason: DrawSubset is not efficient at all. Each call sets the vertex and index buffers, I believe. While it's possible to extract the buffers from your Mesh object it is probably easier just to use your own format to begin with.

[edited by - Raloth on August 12, 2003 1:11:34 PM]
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
Others can read and use your models.

Doesn''t support multi-textured materials or multiple texture coordinates in its basic form (there are tricks using DECL and EFFECTS templates in DX9 to solve this. Hopefully the DX9 SDK summer refresh will show us all how we should use these structures etc).

Need to make new templates for user defined/map level data etc.
....many more.

After all this you might write your own !!!!
Andy
"Others can read and use your models"

While people are worried about this, there is nothing that can really be done. Even then, as long as you have a good copyright, etc, there is nothing to worry about commercially.

I am not familiar enought with the XFile format, but if those things are true, then wow, I can agree. It would really limit the quality of the model these days.

It is kind of amazing that MS has not pushed their format more. I guess they know people like Max and such, but they could at least upgrade it. I am happy to hear that DX9 might be doing that.
Someone cracking your model format is the last thing you need to worry about. Worry about them cracking the shareware key protection first . Almost every commercial game has had its data cracked in one way or another, but thanks to lawyers and the law it''s kept under control. I guess you could argue free use on it if the person just wants to use it for non-profit. They bought the thing, didn''t they?
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement