Textures and VRAM?

Started by
3 comments, last by MARS_999 20 years, 8 months ago
When I load textures and use glGenTextures and glBindTextures() those textures should be in VRAM correct? If so why does windows show me using 70megs when I know I don''t have 70megs of data unless I add in my 32megs of textures? Also how do I check to see how much RAM is available and being used on my videocard? Thanks
Advertisement
You can''t know how much vram has is availiable/used. 70mb of ram during run-time is OK. OpenGL uses ram and much of this 70mb is just reserved for your application and not used.

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Member of the Shove Pouya Off A Cliff club, SPOAC. (If you wish to join, add this line to your signature.)Member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association, UNA (to join put this in your sig)"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
did you free the memory after loading the textures? else i would expect opengl to not just move the textures back and forth but keep them in system memory and copy the used textures to vram.
f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de
If you are asking if I have used delete on my memory I used to load the textures than yes I have deleted the memory. Now if you are asking about glDeleteTextures then no, I call that at the end of the application.
The OpenGL driver keeps an internal copy of the texture, for it''s texture management stuff.

The idea is that it''s not important to know how much VRAM you have; the idea is that you assign priorities to textures, and the OpenGL driver does the texture management stuff for you.

-=|Mr.Oreo|=-
Code Monkey, l33t.ca
-=|Mr.Oreo|=-Code Monkey, Serpent Engine

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement