RPG game programming with no api

Started by
2 comments, last by Aroth 20 years, 8 months ago
My friends and I were thinking about making a 2d rpg type of game like Zelda, and I''m reading "sam''s teach yourself game programming in 24 hrs". They don''t use api''s like DirectX or OpenGl in that book, just windows, and none of the examples has background scrolling so should I stick to regular windows routines or learn OpenGl which I already started learning? and if it is possible in windows, does anyone know how accomplish it or know anywhere I can read about it? ~John L
Advertisement
im trying to learn windows programming.. i cant even make a window... so if u can congrats... from what ive heard OpenGL and DirectX are a good route to go.. but dont go by just me..

Goto my website |Here |A good metal smith site
I would suggest using ALLEGRO (http://www.allegro.cc)

It''s a wonderful API for 2d graphics. Very easy to use after you get it installed. The install isn''t too bad, you can download prebuilt binaries for MSVC, etc.

WyrmSlayer RPG - In Early Development
It''s possible, but not exactly fast. Also, just to correct you on one minor thing, you''re still using an API, that is to say, the Win32 API. Almost all programming will involve an API of some sort.

As far as scrolling, the first step is to learn how to display bitmaps on the screen. If you can do that, it''s fairly straightforward. Just store the screen position in variables, and draw to the screen like this:

for (int x = screen_x_pos; x < screen_x_pos+SCREEN_WIDTH; x += TILE_WIDTH){     for (int y = screen_y_pos; y < screen_y_pos+SCREEN_HEIGHT; y += TILE_HEIGHT){          DrawTile(map[x/TILE_WIDTH][y/TILE_HEIGHT],x,y);     }} 

You''d also have to remember to invalidate the screen frequently so you can actually draw new stuff on the window. For that, just use InvalidateRect(NULL) when you recieve input.

One final note, this is probably going to run too slow on Windows to be worth spending too much time on. In that case, I''d suggest you do look at some other API. You''ll find, however, that in a lot of cases they operate pretty much the same in regards to how you''d draw tiles.

I couldn''t tell whether you were asking whether you could use the Win32 API, or whether you should use the Win32 API, so I tried to answer both. Could: sure. Should: probably not.

-Arek the Absolute
-Arek the Absolute"The full quartet is pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. Create a game which involves all four, and you risk being blinded by the sheer level of coolness involved." - Superpig

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement