Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ckyfan

Questions

How is quake 3 written just with c++ or what also I dont understand Is the whole game open gl or is it a mix with direct x also I need to know since I am going to start on a Quake type game. Also what is a good program you would either use to make movie roq files or avi''s for games. Thanks for the help

I''m afraid you don''t sound like you''re ready to start making an FPS yet. If you don''t know C++ yet I suggest you start with that, then move on to OpenGL or DirectX. Master one of these before you start making games. If you need any OpenGL resources have a look at nehe.gamedev.net

No, the VC++ 6.0 IDE doesn''t have a compiler or an integrated development environment. It''s basically just like notepad with more buttons.

Yeah, Quake 3 Arena is all OpenGL. There isn''t any C or anything. Just OpenGL calls.

Here''s what the program looks like:
glBegin(GL_QUAKE_3_ARENA);
//Start gl calls here
glDoNetworking();
glDoSimulation();
glLoadModels();
glDoSound();
glRenderEverything();
//More gl calls here
glEnd();

Use Word to make .Avi files.

From the great knowledge you have shown by your post, I am sure you are well on your way to releasing the next l337 game that will be bought by all.

quote:
Original post by jeeky
No, the VC++ 6.0 IDE doesn''t have a compiler or an integrated development environment. It''s basically just like notepad with more buttons.

Yeah, Quake 3 Arena is all OpenGL. There isn''t any C or anything. Just OpenGL calls.

Here''s what the program looks like:
glBegin(GL_QUAKE_3_ARENA);
//Start gl calls here
glDoNetworking();
glDoSimulation();
glLoadModels();
glDoSound();
glRenderEverything();
//More gl calls here
glEnd();

Use Word to make .Avi files.

From the great knowledge you have shown by your post, I am sure you are well on your way to releasing the next l337 game that will be bought by all.

ROFL! You didn''t have to go through all that trouble!!

also do you need a special program to do open gl script? or can you use word pad or c++?? also how do you make a avi using wordpad?

Use wordpad save text as .cpp and then jiggle your box around a bit and voila! You are teh l33t h4xx0r!

EDIT: wait, I was totally wrong. You need to save the file as a .exe and then click on it. Your Quakelike game should only take about a couple of hours to churn out with only a graphics API.

[edited by - nervo on August 12, 2003 7:49:08 PM]

No, you don''t need a *special* program to do OpenGL script. What you need is a *really special* program.

Just download the most recent version of "Special GLScripting Program.exe" from sourceforge.

No, use Word, not Wordpad to make .Avis. You use Wordpad to make custom content, such as MD3 models and textures.

Good Luck, l337-O.

Oops, I meant to say that you should download the "Really Special GLScripting Program.exe" from sourceforge. The "Special GLScripting Program.exe" has been deprecated. Only lusers use that one. Then again, maybe you should try it out.

I have a great idea. Use word to make a succession of ASCII goatse images. It will have a pattern: He is moving his hips around in each image. Then scroll through each page at about 16 frames per second, and you will have teh leet mpeg with tru mpeg technology! make sure you save it as a .mpg though

quote:
Original post by ckyfan
but I dont understand how to make a model or a avi movie in wordpad?

Not to spoil the fun, but if you don''t even know you can''t make movies in word pad then you are about ten years away from making a FPS.

Now run along. Mom wants to take you shopping for school clothes after dinner.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You people are such dyks.
Don''t come in the beginner forum and tell nonsense like this, maybe he is a kid and honestly wants to know what he should study.

C++ is a programming language. You need a language like this to be able to use opengl, and to make any program. You can NOT make an AVI file in notepad they are bullshittying you and they think it''s funny that you are so incredibly clueless.

quote:
Original post by ckyfan
then where can I find on how to learn to make a avi movie in word pad?

No logic flunky I know that you can make a ascii movie in word pad but never imagined a avi.

also I aint gonna run along Im gonna stay here to learn and get some answers!

I weep for the future.
Start Here then.

quote:
Original post by logic monkey
quote:
Original post by ckyfan
then where can I find on how to learn to make a avi movie in word pad?

No logic flunky I know that you can make a ascii movie in word pad but never imagined a avi.

also I aint gonna run along Im gonna stay here to learn and get some answers!

I weep for the future.
Start Here then.

g1, logic monkey.

Hey, ckyfan, here's a couple more links that you may find useful:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764553224/qid=1060734026/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-3568117-4220822

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764553933/ref=pd_sim_books_1/002-3568117-4220822?v=glance&s=books

[edited by - jeeky on August 12, 2003 8:28:55 PM]

ahahaah..... Grammar and Vocab for dummies I dont need that Im not in school right now . . . .this isnt a report just a post.

[edited by - ckyfan on August 12, 2003 8:31:26 PM]

quote:
Original post by ckyfan
ahahaah..... Grammar and Vocab for dummies I dont need that Im not in school right now . . . .this isnt a report just a post.

[edited by - ckyfan on August 12, 2003 8:31:26 PM]

Oh yeah, you are exactly correct. There is no reason to use coherent English except for when you are required to for a grade.

Once you get your Q3A clone all done, I hope you have a fun time at your interview with the Id software guys.

Excerpt from ckyfan interview with John Carmack:
h3y, like John dude. U knw aneting bout games I amde totlly l337 game cuz me h4xx0R man. like ken me have job dide. Onlly 1 prublm tho. cuddnt git avi muvies too werk in werdpud